SAP goes big on Windows 8 with six new apps
Also plans Windows Phone 8 Afaria management support
One of the six apps announced Tuesday was built first for Windows 8. Called SAP WorkDeck, the app integrates various information sources and work processes into a single view to allow workers to initiate new work requests and monitor the process of the work. Managers will be able to use the app to respond to and oversee workflows from a mobile device, such as travel, leave and purchase requests, SAP said.
All six apps take advantage of the touchscreen capability of Windows 8 in tablets and other devices, including the Snap dual-screen mode. Once available, they can be downloaded from the Windows Store for a trial evaluation before a purchase.
The enterprise software company also announced that its SAP Afaria mobile device management software is now available for Windows 8 tablets and other devices running on Intel Atom and Core processors. SAP plans to develop apps for Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 as well. SAP is one of the leaders in mobile device management and already offers mobile apps for iOS, Android and BlackBerry.
In addition to SAP WorkDeck, the other five new apps for Windows 8 are: SAP Manager Insight for human resources decision-making; Learning Assistant for on-the-go training, anytime and anywhere; Interview Assistant for organizing recruiting tasks to help managers review applicant information and record results from interviews; Customer Financial Fact Sheet for account executives to access financial data, invoices and sales orders in real time; and GRC Policy Survey for employees to review and sign-off on relevant corporate policy changes.
Pricing was not announced.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile Device Management in Computerworld's Mobile Device Management Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Partners in Mobile Device Management: AirWatch & CDW When it comes to Mobile Device Management, it's not just what you know. It's who you know. That's why CDW partners with industry...
- Getting Agnostic about Mobile Devices The idea of being able to interact with customers, prospects, and stay attuned to competitive pressures is not new, but the velocity at...
- Logicalis eBook: SAP HANA: The Need for Speed Without timely business insights, organizations today can suffer logistical, manufacturing, and even financial disaster in a matter of minutes
- Neustar 2014 DDoS Attacks and Impact Report For the third consecutive year, Neustar surveyed hundreds of companies on distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks. The survey reveals evidence that the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Mobile Device Management White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!