SAP goes big on Windows 8 with six new apps
Also plans Windows Phone 8 Afaria management support
One of the six apps announced Tuesday was built first for Windows 8. Called SAP WorkDeck, the app integrates various information sources and work processes into a single view to allow workers to initiate new work requests and monitor the process of the work. Managers will be able to use the app to respond to and oversee workflows from a mobile device, such as travel, leave and purchase requests, SAP said.
All six apps take advantage of the touchscreen capability of Windows 8 in tablets and other devices, including the Snap dual-screen mode. Once available, they can be downloaded from the Windows Store for a trial evaluation before a purchase.
The enterprise software company also announced that its SAP Afaria mobile device management software is now available for Windows 8 tablets and other devices running on Intel Atom and Core processors. SAP plans to develop apps for Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 as well. SAP is one of the leaders in mobile device management and already offers mobile apps for iOS, Android and BlackBerry.
In addition to SAP WorkDeck, the other five new apps for Windows 8 are: SAP Manager Insight for human resources decision-making; Learning Assistant for on-the-go training, anytime and anywhere; Interview Assistant for organizing recruiting tasks to help managers review applicant information and record results from interviews; Customer Financial Fact Sheet for account executives to access financial data, invoices and sales orders in real time; and GRC Policy Survey for employees to review and sign-off on relevant corporate policy changes.
Pricing was not announced.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile Device Management in Computerworld's Mobile Device Management Topic Center.
- Cytori Case Study: Cutting Edge Mobile Device Management To simplify the administration of wireless voice and data services, Cytori migrated its employees from multiple carriers to a single AT&T wireless plan...
- Mobile Workspaces Enable New Ways to Work The number of telecommuters is expected to increase, but the technology to support them is lacking in most organizations. Mobile workspaces that follow...
- Managing Social Content to Maximize Value and Minimize Risk In this AIIM white paper, you will learn about the roles of content publishing systems and content management systems in social business strategies...
- Winning the Paper Wars - capture the content and mobilize the process troops In this report, AIIM looks at the reasons for this poor progress, measure the adoption of digital mailrooms, chart the progress of mobile...
- Mobile Security within the SMB: A Rising Trend In a 3 minute video, IDC Research discusses mobility trends impacting small-to-midsize businesses warranting the need for mobile security solutions.
- Managing a Mobile Workforce Learn how this biotechnology company used a mobile device management solution to help secure data accessed by over 125 employees globally. All Mobile Device Management White Papers | Webcasts