SAP goes big on Windows 8 with six new apps
Also plans Windows Phone 8 Afaria management support
One of the six apps announced Tuesday was built first for Windows 8. Called SAP WorkDeck, the app integrates various information sources and work processes into a single view to allow workers to initiate new work requests and monitor the process of the work. Managers will be able to use the app to respond to and oversee workflows from a mobile device, such as travel, leave and purchase requests, SAP said.
All six apps take advantage of the touchscreen capability of Windows 8 in tablets and other devices, including the Snap dual-screen mode. Once available, they can be downloaded from the Windows Store for a trial evaluation before a purchase.
The enterprise software company also announced that its SAP Afaria mobile device management software is now available for Windows 8 tablets and other devices running on Intel Atom and Core processors. SAP plans to develop apps for Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 as well. SAP is one of the leaders in mobile device management and already offers mobile apps for iOS, Android and BlackBerry.
In addition to SAP WorkDeck, the other five new apps for Windows 8 are: SAP Manager Insight for human resources decision-making; Learning Assistant for on-the-go training, anytime and anywhere; Interview Assistant for organizing recruiting tasks to help managers review applicant information and record results from interviews; Customer Financial Fact Sheet for account executives to access financial data, invoices and sales orders in real time; and GRC Policy Survey for employees to review and sign-off on relevant corporate policy changes.
Pricing was not announced.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile Device Management in Computerworld's Mobile Device Management Topic Center.
- Partners in Mobile Device Management: AirWatch & CDW When it comes to Mobile Device Management, it's not just what you know. It's who you know. That's why CDW partners with industry...
- Getting Agnostic about Mobile Devices The idea of being able to interact with customers, prospects, and stay attuned to competitive pressures is not new, but the velocity at...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Mobile Device Management White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!