SAP to add 'mission-critical' features to HANA in-memory database
SAP preps HANA for large-scale ERP deployments
IDG News Service - SAP has developed an update for its HANA in-memory database that will enable it to "power mission-critical transactional and analytical applications in one platform," the vendor announced Wednesday during the Tech Ed and Sapphire conferences in Madrid.
HANA became generally available last year and since then, SAP has positioned the database at the center of its overall product strategy.
Service pack stack 5 for HANA includes capabilities SAP has been developing to allow its flagship ERP (enterprise resource planning) transactional applications to run on the database. Right now, many SAP ERP customers use Oracle and other databases. Announcements concerning ERP and HANA are expected early next year.
New features in SPS5 include a "read-optimized column store" for OLAP (online analytic processing) as well as a "write-optimized row store" for OLTP (online transaction processing) applications, SAP said.
The update also includes improved text analytics, allowing companies to analyze text-based data from social media and other sources in 31 languages, new library functions for predictive analytics, and application server features for deploying applications from HANA.
In addition, SPS5 focuses on larger-scale HANA deployments, with features such as "hot and warm standby servers," as well as tie-ins to third-party backup tools for disaster tolerance and failover capabilities.
It wasn't immediately clear when SPS5 will be available.
To this end, SAP is planning to enable the deployment of multiple HANA instances within a single appliance, allowing for testing and development. While this would help customers save on hardware costs, it wasn't immediately clear whether all instances on a box would require a paid HANA license.
Along with the service pack, SAP intends to link its Sybase Event Stream Processor software to HANA, and will position Sybase PowerDesigner as a common modeling environment for all data stores, according to a statement. No availability dates were provided.
SAP executive board member and technology chief Vishal Sikka is expected to discuss the HANA updates during a keynote address on Thursday.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts