WebStorm 5 IDE provides powerful editing features, instant feedback for Web developers
If you come to WebStorm from an editor such as Notepad++ or Vim, you will quickly recognize that WebStorm is not a text editor. Sure, it has a slick text editor component with autocompletion, code folding, and more; but that's only part of the picture. You aren't supposed to pop a CSS file into WebStorm for a quick edit and be done with it: WebStorm is an IDE, and IDEs work with projects. So the first thing WebStorm wants you to do is to import your existing work as a project. If you maintain a live online site, that means downloading your work and creating an offline project.
The next logical step is to put the project under a version control system, as serious developers usually do. WebStorm is well integrated with several version control systems, including the ever-popular Git. Its VCS menu lets you check in revisions, browse the repository, create and apply patches, and more.
WebStorm helps you start new projects in style, too: It features built-in support for Twitter's Bootstrap framework, for HTML5 Boilerplate, and for a number of other frameworks. When I asked it to start a new project based on Bootstrap, it asked me what version of Bootstrap I want, and then it pulled the framework's official Git repository, unzipped it, and presented me with a project that was ready for me to start working on. In a previous version, I did have to wait a moment before I could browse in the project folder, because WebStorm was busy parsing it. Version 5.0 solved this problem.
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Leave No App Behind with Software Defined Application Services F5 Software Defined Application Services (SDAS) is the next-generation model for delivering application services that enables service injection, consumption, automation, and orchestration across...
- The ADC's Role in the New Network Infrastructure Cloud computing and the BYOD trend will impact the design of future datacenters and their supporting networks. As these trends continue, application delivery...
- Three Key Principles to Accelerating Web Applications Read this article to learn more about the essential principles driving web application acceleration technologies today.
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts