RIM releases BlackBerry Messenger 7 beta with calls over Wi-Fi
Users can also back up their BBM profile so it can be automatically moved to a new BlackBerry smartphone
IDG News Service - A new beta version of BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) that allows users to make voice calls over Wi-Fi is now available for download, Research In Motion said Tuesday.
The beta version of BBM 7 works on BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry OS version 6 or higher. RIM also plans to support smartphones running BlackBerry OS 5 at a future date, the company said.
With the Voice feature users can talk with BBM contacts across the globe for free over a Wi-Fi connection.
Users can initiate a call directly, or switch from a BBM text chat to voice, and back again. There is a presence feature that shows who is available to receive calls, RIM said.
A split-screen feature also allows users to talk and text at the same time. They can send a picture to their contact while talking with them, check other chats, email, or navigate to other applications while engaged on a voice call.
Another new feature is integration with BlackBerry ID, which allows users to back up their BBM profile, groups and contacts so they can be automatically moved to a new BlackBerry smartphone, including devices running the upcoming BlackBerry 10 operating system.
The new operating system, along with two new smartphones running it, will launch on Jan. 30, the company said earlier this week.
The company is hoping BlackBerry 10 -- which has been built from ground up with touch interfaces in mind -- will resuscitate its smartphone sales with features including Balance, allowing users to manage their work and private communications separately on the same device.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts