RIM releases BlackBerry Messenger 7 beta with calls over Wi-Fi
Users can also back up their BBM profile so it can be automatically moved to a new BlackBerry smartphone
IDG News Service - A new beta version of BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) that allows users to make voice calls over Wi-Fi is now available for download, Research In Motion said Tuesday.
The beta version of BBM 7 works on BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry OS version 6 or higher. RIM also plans to support smartphones running BlackBerry OS 5 at a future date, the company said.
With the Voice feature users can talk with BBM contacts across the globe for free over a Wi-Fi connection.
Users can initiate a call directly, or switch from a BBM text chat to voice, and back again. There is a presence feature that shows who is available to receive calls, RIM said.
A split-screen feature also allows users to talk and text at the same time. They can send a picture to their contact while talking with them, check other chats, email, or navigate to other applications while engaged on a voice call.
Another new feature is integration with BlackBerry ID, which allows users to back up their BBM profile, groups and contacts so they can be automatically moved to a new BlackBerry smartphone, including devices running the upcoming BlackBerry 10 operating system.
The new operating system, along with two new smartphones running it, will launch on Jan. 30, the company said earlier this week.
The company is hoping BlackBerry 10 -- which has been built from ground up with touch interfaces in mind -- will resuscitate its smartphone sales with features including Balance, allowing users to manage their work and private communications separately on the same device.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!