Jaspersoft BI suite gets a new visualization engine
The Jaspersoft 5.0 BI package will visualize data through Web standard technologies, not Adobe Flash
IDG News Service - With the commercial release of version 5 of its self-named reporting and analysis suite, Jaspersoft has revamped the software's visualization engine, doing away with an Adobe Flash-based visualization engine in favor of one using HTML5 Web standards.
The "HTML5 charting engine allows for more dynamic interaction with the data," said Mike Boyarski, Jaspersoft director of product marketing.
The newly released Jaspersoft 5.0 also comes with enhanced in-memory capabilities and a new data visualization tool as well.
With the new visualization engine, "the charts can be interacted with and visualized on any sort of device. We are not beholden to the Flash technology," Boyarski said, referring to how material rendered in Adobe Flash cannot be rendered on Apple's mobile products such as the iPhone and the iPad.
The business intelligence (BI) software can shape data into bar charts, line charts, area charts, pie charts, column charts and others. Users can zoom from the initial summary information down to the data itself. "You can lasso parts of a chart, and zoom into them to get more detail," Boyarski said.
The new visualization engine will also allow visualizations to be more easily embedded into other online applications. For instance, a user can embed a chart on an external portal.
Jaspersoft 5.0 also improved its columnar in-memory engine, which caches the results of queries in a server's memory so it can be retrieved much more quickly on subsequent uses. The update allows up to a terabyte of query data to be stored in memory. "You can look at a large amount of data very quickly," Boyarski said.
The update also allows users to fuse multiple relational data sources into a single view. "I can connect to two independent sources and combine them to create a single view, so it appears to the tool as if it were a single database," Boyarski said. In some cases, this "data virtualization," as Boyarski calls this feature, can eliminate the need for separate ETL (extract, transform and load) tools and data warehouses.
Over time, Jaspersoft plans to extend data virtualization to not only relational database but to non-relational data stores as well, such as data managed by the Apache Hadoop data processing platform, Boyarski said.
Jaspersoft 5 is a commercial edition of Jaspersoft's open-source business intelligence software. Jaspersoft plans to release an updated version of open-source software as well, though it will not include the new visualization engine, data virtualization nor the updated in-memory story, Boyarski said. cost-wise, Jaspersoft 5.0 starts at US$10,000 per processor core, with an unlimited number of users.
Jaspersoft is not the only open-source BI vendor to update its flagship product. Last week, Pentaho announced the release of Pentaho Business Analytics Enterprise Edition 4.8, which includes new features such as big data viewer, and a mobile extension that allows users to create ad hoc queries from an Apple iPad.
- A Modern Approach to the Data Deluge Read this whitepaper to learn how infrastructure leaders can confidently manage cost, complexity, and risk, capitalize on emerging technologies, and drive future innovation...
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to... All Databases White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!