SAP cozies up to Windows 8 with mobile apps, platform support
The move reflects SAP and Microsoft's close partnership over the years
IDG News Service - SAP said Tuesday that it plans to roll out a series of mobile applications for Windows 8, a move that underscores the companies' deep partnership at a time when many observers believe Microsoft's new OS is in for a tough ride.
In addition, SAP is planning to add support for Windows 8 mobile application development for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 through its SAP Mobile Platform, which has been renamed from Sybase Unwired Platform, according to the announcement, which was made at the Sapphire and Tech Ed conferences in Madrid.
SAP has also renamed the Sybase Afaria mobile device management platform. It is now called SAP Afaria and will also support Windows 8. Intel-based Windows 8 tablets are now certified for SAP Afaria as well.
The six Windows 8 mobile applications SAP plans to roll out will be "for use on devices of various form factors," according to a statement.
These include WorkDeck, a "persona-centric app that offers contextual integration of various information sources and processes into a role-based view," SAP said.
Other applications include Manager Insight, which provides employee profile information; Learning Assistant, a training application; Interview Assistant, for coordinating employee searches and hiring processes; Customer Financial Fact Sheet, which provides data about clients' finances and order activity to sales representatives; and GRC Policy Survey, with which employees can "review and acknowledge relevant policy changes and fill in surveys to ensure they understand the policies," SAP said.
Trial versions of all the products will be available for download.
Wednesday's announcement also noted that SAP will develop Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 applications, but didn't provide any specifics. Nor did SAP give availability and pricing dates for its Windows 8 applications.
Still, SAP's move should provide a significant albeit not entirely surprising endorsement of Windows 8, which has been dogged by reports of slow initial sales.
SAP and Microsoft, while competitors in some areas, have engaged in many high-profile co-development efforts over the years, such as Duet, an integration between SAP's business software and Microsoft SharePoint.
Critics such as Salesforce.com CEO Marc Benioff have even predicted that Windows 8 will be the "end of Windows."
Such talk, however, doesn't reflect the reality of how deeply ingrained Windows and other Microsoft technologies, such as Office and Active Directory, remain inside corporate IT environments. Should SAP fail to support Windows 8, it could face some blowback from its customers that decide to upgrade to the new OS.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Windows 'Threshold' to go public within weeks
- How risky will it be to run old IE after Microsoft's 2016 patch stoppage?
- Deja vu all over again: Windows 7 will be the new XP
- Microsoft postpones IE's Java blocking after IT complains
- Mac sales so far in '14 may signal share push
- Chromebooks may grab 5% of PC market, about the same as Apple's Mac
- Microsoft slashes IE support, sets 'huge' edict for Jan. 2016
- Windows 8's no-name update plan nails OS's coffin shut
- Windows 8.1 biz users face patch freeze as Microsoft sets critical updates
- China scrubs Apple's iPad and MacBooks from government buying list
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- Mobile Device Management Policy Best Practices This white paper explores ten policy best-practices for secure and compliant enterprise mobility.
- Mobile Data Security: Finding the Balance Bring Your Own Device has changed the rules for corporate security on smartphones and tablets. Companies need to find the right balance in...
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Managing a Mobile Workforce Learn how this biotechnology company used a mobile device management solution to help secure data accessed by over 125 employees globally.
- Sametime 9.0 Demo Showcasing a simplified user interface for desktop, web and mobile clients, IBM® Sametime® V9.0 is energizing today's enterprise with high definition, real-time communications. All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts