Visa, startup iZettle settle mobile payments issue
As of Tuesday, iZettle is out of beta and commercially available for individuals and businesses in Denmark, Finland and Norway. Interested merchants can download the iZettle app to their Android or iOS devices for free and can buy a card reader for 24 euros (US$30) with a voucher toward iZettle transaction fees of the same amount, the company said. iZettle charges 2.75% of all payments made.
iZettle officially launched in Sweden a year ago, and in Germany and the U.K. in the past few weeks. The company is planning to expand in Europe as well as outside of Europe, Douglas said. In the European market the company competes with similar mobile payments startups like Payleven, based in Germany, and Elavon, a company that is active in the U.K. and Ireland.
A similar service is offered in the U.S. by Square. iZettle is not planning to operate in the U.S. because that is a magstripe market, and iZettle focuses on EMV (Europay, MasterCard and Visa) based chip cards, said Douglas. "And as far as we now, there's a big player there already," she added.
Loek is Amsterdam Correspondent and covers online privacy, intellectual property, open-source and online payment issues for the IDG News Service. Follow him on Twitter at @loekessers or email tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Mobile Payments White Papers | Webcasts