Oracle takes stake in PaaS vendor Engine Yard
Oracle plans to integrate its own PaaS with Engine Yard
IDG News Service - Oracle has taken a minority stake in Engine Yard, maker of a PaaS (platform as a service) for Ruby, PHP and Node.js applications, the company announced Tuesday. Financial terms were not disclosed.
Oracle and Engine Yard "are expected to connect their respective PaaS offerings to enable more rapid development of applications in a secure, reliable and scalable environment," according to a statement.
Engine Yard will remain an independent company, Oracle said.
Oracle's move is meant to give users of its recently announced Oracle Cloud PaaS, which offers the ability to write and deploy Java EE-based applications, more development options, particularly for Web applications rather than heavier-duty enterprise applications for which Java EE is often used.
The move is good for Engine Yard and its customers, CEO John Dillon said in a blog post on Tuesday.
"This is a great day for our organization and for our customers," he wrote. "The resulting partnership with Oracle will give Engine Yard access to new technologies and allow us to increase the technical investment we make in our products."
Oracle may also have been interested in investing in Engine Yard because of its broad partner ecosystem. Engine Yard customers can tap a wide variety of "Add-On" platform services from partners, such as application monitoring, continuous integration and recurring billing.
It wasn't immediately clear Tuesday when the integration between Oracle's PaaS and Engine Yard would be completed, nor whether Oracle may some day seek to acquire Engine Yard.
While Oracle is well-known for its long run of acquisitions, it has also taken partial stakes in companies before, such as its 2010 investment in Infiniband vendor Mellanox.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts