Oracle takes stake in PaaS vendor Engine Yard
Oracle plans to integrate its own PaaS with Engine Yard
IDG News Service - Oracle has taken a minority stake in Engine Yard, maker of a PaaS (platform as a service) for Ruby, PHP and Node.js applications, the company announced Tuesday. Financial terms were not disclosed.
Oracle and Engine Yard "are expected to connect their respective PaaS offerings to enable more rapid development of applications in a secure, reliable and scalable environment," according to a statement.
Engine Yard will remain an independent company, Oracle said.
Oracle's move is meant to give users of its recently announced Oracle Cloud PaaS, which offers the ability to write and deploy Java EE-based applications, more development options, particularly for Web applications rather than heavier-duty enterprise applications for which Java EE is often used.
The move is good for Engine Yard and its customers, CEO John Dillon said in a blog post on Tuesday.
"This is a great day for our organization and for our customers," he wrote. "The resulting partnership with Oracle will give Engine Yard access to new technologies and allow us to increase the technical investment we make in our products."
Oracle may also have been interested in investing in Engine Yard because of its broad partner ecosystem. Engine Yard customers can tap a wide variety of "Add-On" platform services from partners, such as application monitoring, continuous integration and recurring billing.
It wasn't immediately clear Tuesday when the integration between Oracle's PaaS and Engine Yard would be completed, nor whether Oracle may some day seek to acquire Engine Yard.
While Oracle is well-known for its long run of acquisitions, it has also taken partial stakes in companies before, such as its 2010 investment in Infiniband vendor Mellanox.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!