Oracle takes stake in PaaS vendor Engine Yard
Oracle plans to integrate its own PaaS with Engine Yard
IDG News Service - Oracle has taken a minority stake in Engine Yard, maker of a PaaS (platform as a service) for Ruby, PHP and Node.js applications, the company announced Tuesday. Financial terms were not disclosed.
Oracle and Engine Yard "are expected to connect their respective PaaS offerings to enable more rapid development of applications in a secure, reliable and scalable environment," according to a statement.
Engine Yard will remain an independent company, Oracle said.
Oracle's move is meant to give users of its recently announced Oracle Cloud PaaS, which offers the ability to write and deploy Java EE-based applications, more development options, particularly for Web applications rather than heavier-duty enterprise applications for which Java EE is often used.
The move is good for Engine Yard and its customers, CEO John Dillon said in a blog post on Tuesday.
"This is a great day for our organization and for our customers," he wrote. "The resulting partnership with Oracle will give Engine Yard access to new technologies and allow us to increase the technical investment we make in our products."
Oracle may also have been interested in investing in Engine Yard because of its broad partner ecosystem. Engine Yard customers can tap a wide variety of "Add-On" platform services from partners, such as application monitoring, continuous integration and recurring billing.
It wasn't immediately clear Tuesday when the integration between Oracle's PaaS and Engine Yard would be completed, nor whether Oracle may some day seek to acquire Engine Yard.
While Oracle is well-known for its long run of acquisitions, it has also taken partial stakes in companies before, such as its 2010 investment in Infiniband vendor Mellanox.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
As TurboTax deals with the last minute crush of filers, vice president Bob Meighan shares the four most commonly asked questions customers are asking this year.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment
- An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Time-to-Market: The Need for Speed in the Automotive Industry
- Bringing new vehicles to market quickly has never been more challenging. To bring new models to market on-time and on budget, automakers need...
- Application Rationalization Scorecard: Analysis to Action
- This paper details a proven method, used most recently to evaluate a financial services application portfolio. At the method's core is the scorecard....
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
All Financial IT White Papers
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- How to Protect Enterprise Data Yet Enable Secure Access for End Users Learn how BYOD, Big Data and the use of rogue applications and devices is putting corporate data at risk, best practices from IT...
- All Financial IT Webcasts