Acer ships $199 C7 Chromebook
Acer's C7 Chromebook will have Google's Chrome OS and an Intel Celeron processor.
IDG News Service - Acer has started shipping the C7 Chromebook netbook starting at $199 with Google's Chrome OS and Intel's Celeron processor.
The low-power laptop has an 11.6-inch screen, and is for those who do most of their computing on the web, Acer said Monday. the C7 Chromebook is mainly designed to be a secondary mobile device for those who want to browse the Web, check email or access social networks.
The C7 Chromebook will face competition from Samsung's Chromebook, which starts at $249 and also runs on Chrome OS. Samsung's Chromebook, which was announced last month, has the Exynos 5 Dual chip, which is based on ARM's Cortex-A15 processor design. ARM, which dominates tablets and smartphones, is now trying to enter the laptop market, which is dominated by x86 chips from Intel and Advanced Micro Devices.
The C7 will come with Wi-Fi connectivity. Samsung's Chromebook by comparison comes with Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity, with prices for 3G netbooks starting at $329. Acer did not respond to requests for comment on whether it will introduce 3G or LTE connectivity in C7.
The C7 has Intel's Celeron 847 processor, which is based on the Sandy Bridge microarchitecture and has a clock speed of 1.10GHz. The laptop has a 1.3-megapixel webcam and 320GB of storage, and Acer is offering 100GB of free Google Drive cloud storage for two years.
The laptop weighs 1.38 kilograms and is 25 millimeters thick. The laptop has an HDMI (high-definition multimedia interface) port and a Secure Digital card slot.
The C7 Chromebook is available from the Google Play online store or Best Buy's retail and online stores. Acer did not respond to a request for information about C7 Chromebook's worldwide availability.
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts