Acer ships $199 C7 Chromebook
Acer's C7 Chromebook will have Google's Chrome OS and an Intel Celeron processor.
IDG News Service - Acer has started shipping the C7 Chromebook netbook starting at $199 with Google's Chrome OS and Intel's Celeron processor.
The low-power laptop has an 11.6-inch screen, and is for those who do most of their computing on the web, Acer said Monday. the C7 Chromebook is mainly designed to be a secondary mobile device for those who want to browse the Web, check email or access social networks.
The C7 Chromebook will face competition from Samsung's Chromebook, which starts at $249 and also runs on Chrome OS. Samsung's Chromebook, which was announced last month, has the Exynos 5 Dual chip, which is based on ARM's Cortex-A15 processor design. ARM, which dominates tablets and smartphones, is now trying to enter the laptop market, which is dominated by x86 chips from Intel and Advanced Micro Devices.
The C7 will come with Wi-Fi connectivity. Samsung's Chromebook by comparison comes with Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity, with prices for 3G netbooks starting at $329. Acer did not respond to requests for comment on whether it will introduce 3G or LTE connectivity in C7.
The C7 has Intel's Celeron 847 processor, which is based on the Sandy Bridge microarchitecture and has a clock speed of 1.10GHz. The laptop has a 1.3-megapixel webcam and 320GB of storage, and Acer is offering 100GB of free Google Drive cloud storage for two years.
The laptop weighs 1.38 kilograms and is 25 millimeters thick. The laptop has an HDMI (high-definition multimedia interface) port and a Secure Digital card slot.
The C7 Chromebook is available from the Google Play online store or Best Buy's retail and online stores. Acer did not respond to a request for information about C7 Chromebook's worldwide availability.
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- Software Build Acceleration, Analytics and Build Clouds Discover how to dramatically speed up software builds by automatically distributing build jobs over scalable resource clouds and multi-core desktops, with potential savings...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!