Acer ships $199 C7 Chromebook
Acer's C7 Chromebook will have Google's Chrome OS and an Intel Celeron processor.
IDG News Service - Acer has started shipping the C7 Chromebook netbook starting at $199 with Google's Chrome OS and Intel's Celeron processor.
The low-power laptop has an 11.6-inch screen, and is for those who do most of their computing on the web, Acer said Monday. the C7 Chromebook is mainly designed to be a secondary mobile device for those who want to browse the Web, check email or access social networks.
The C7 Chromebook will face competition from Samsung's Chromebook, which starts at $249 and also runs on Chrome OS. Samsung's Chromebook, which was announced last month, has the Exynos 5 Dual chip, which is based on ARM's Cortex-A15 processor design. ARM, which dominates tablets and smartphones, is now trying to enter the laptop market, which is dominated by x86 chips from Intel and Advanced Micro Devices.
The C7 will come with Wi-Fi connectivity. Samsung's Chromebook by comparison comes with Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity, with prices for 3G netbooks starting at $329. Acer did not respond to requests for comment on whether it will introduce 3G or LTE connectivity in C7.
The C7 has Intel's Celeron 847 processor, which is based on the Sandy Bridge microarchitecture and has a clock speed of 1.10GHz. The laptop has a 1.3-megapixel webcam and 320GB of storage, and Acer is offering 100GB of free Google Drive cloud storage for two years.
The laptop weighs 1.38 kilograms and is 25 millimeters thick. The laptop has an HDMI (high-definition multimedia interface) port and a Secure Digital card slot.
The C7 Chromebook is available from the Google Play online store or Best Buy's retail and online stores. Acer did not respond to a request for information about C7 Chromebook's worldwide availability.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Netbooks White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!