EMC's Tucci: Global economy hinges on U.S. budget deal
At the Techonomy 12 conference, the CEO also signaled news about Pivotal technology is coming soon
IDG News Service - EMC CEO Joe Tucci on Monday called for CEOs to put pressure on U.S. politicians to strike a budget deal, saying that the direction of the domestic and global economy depends on it.
"I've never seen a time when the rest of the world was looking to the U.S. for leadership more than now," Tucci said at the Techonomy 12 conference in Tucson, Arizona. "They want the U.S. to be successful. If we address the fiscal cliff problem adequately we'll have a decent 2013 globally."
In an onstage interview with Techonomy founder David Kirkpatrick, Tucci said that CEOs need to put pressure on Congress to reach a bipartisan compromise that both raises revenues and balances the budget over time.
Tucci also extended his calls for partnership and compromise to the international level, saying that the U.S. and China need to cooperate and not fight, and that under these circumstances, "Europe won't be robust but it will be OK."
Kirkpatrick pressed Tucci for an assessment of the health of EMC's relationship with Cisco; some analysts claimed it was damaged when EMC's VMware bought network technology startup Nicira, which Cisco had eyed as an acquisition. But Tucci insisted the partnership is still strong.
"Cisco is our closest and most strategic partner, and we will have a long and prosperous relationship," Tucci said. Cloud computing and big data have enormous requirements for data communication, an area EMC is "not getting into, that's where we're going to partner with Cisco."
Tucci declined to fully answer a question about how EMC is making use of the technology acquired with application development consultancy Pivotal Labs, saying, "I don't want to give a lot away, we're going to be talking about it in a couple of months."
He called it a "fantastic acquisition" and promised more information shortly about how EMC will use the technology internally and externally.
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- The Opportunities and Challenges of the Cloud In this report F5 poses questions to IDC analysts, Sally Hudson and Phil Hochmuth, on behalf of F5's customers to better understand the...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!