EMC's Tucci: Global economy hinges on U.S. budget deal
At the Techonomy 12 conference, the CEO also signaled news about Pivotal technology is coming soon
IDG News Service - EMC CEO Joe Tucci on Monday called for CEOs to put pressure on U.S. politicians to strike a budget deal, saying that the direction of the domestic and global economy depends on it.
"I've never seen a time when the rest of the world was looking to the U.S. for leadership more than now," Tucci said at the Techonomy 12 conference in Tucson, Arizona. "They want the U.S. to be successful. If we address the fiscal cliff problem adequately we'll have a decent 2013 globally."
In an onstage interview with Techonomy founder David Kirkpatrick, Tucci said that CEOs need to put pressure on Congress to reach a bipartisan compromise that both raises revenues and balances the budget over time.
Tucci also extended his calls for partnership and compromise to the international level, saying that the U.S. and China need to cooperate and not fight, and that under these circumstances, "Europe won't be robust but it will be OK."
Kirkpatrick pressed Tucci for an assessment of the health of EMC's relationship with Cisco; some analysts claimed it was damaged when EMC's VMware bought network technology startup Nicira, which Cisco had eyed as an acquisition. But Tucci insisted the partnership is still strong.
"Cisco is our closest and most strategic partner, and we will have a long and prosperous relationship," Tucci said. Cloud computing and big data have enormous requirements for data communication, an area EMC is "not getting into, that's where we're going to partner with Cisco."
Tucci declined to fully answer a question about how EMC is making use of the technology acquired with application development consultancy Pivotal Labs, saying, "I don't want to give a lot away, we're going to be talking about it in a couple of months."
He called it a "fantastic acquisition" and promised more information shortly about how EMC will use the technology internally and externally.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance
- Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD
- If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics
- "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World
- Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local... All Government IT White Papers
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- All Government IT Webcasts