EMC's Tucci: Global economy hinges on U.S. budget deal
At the Techonomy 12 conference, the CEO also signaled news about Pivotal technology is coming soon
IDG News Service - EMC CEO Joe Tucci on Monday called for CEOs to put pressure on U.S. politicians to strike a budget deal, saying that the direction of the domestic and global economy depends on it.
"I've never seen a time when the rest of the world was looking to the U.S. for leadership more than now," Tucci said at the Techonomy 12 conference in Tucson, Arizona. "They want the U.S. to be successful. If we address the fiscal cliff problem adequately we'll have a decent 2013 globally."
In an onstage interview with Techonomy founder David Kirkpatrick, Tucci said that CEOs need to put pressure on Congress to reach a bipartisan compromise that both raises revenues and balances the budget over time.
Tucci also extended his calls for partnership and compromise to the international level, saying that the U.S. and China need to cooperate and not fight, and that under these circumstances, "Europe won't be robust but it will be OK."
Kirkpatrick pressed Tucci for an assessment of the health of EMC's relationship with Cisco; some analysts claimed it was damaged when EMC's VMware bought network technology startup Nicira, which Cisco had eyed as an acquisition. But Tucci insisted the partnership is still strong.
"Cisco is our closest and most strategic partner, and we will have a long and prosperous relationship," Tucci said. Cloud computing and big data have enormous requirements for data communication, an area EMC is "not getting into, that's where we're going to partner with Cisco."
Tucci declined to fully answer a question about how EMC is making use of the technology acquired with application development consultancy Pivotal Labs, saying, "I don't want to give a lot away, we're going to be talking about it in a couple of months."
He called it a "fantastic acquisition" and promised more information shortly about how EMC will use the technology internally and externally.
This state transportation department uses computer science students from a local university as programming interns, and everyone is happy with the arrangement -- until one intern learns how to bring down the mainframe.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Path Selection Infographic
- Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic
- A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era
- From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs
- If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity... All Government IT White Papers
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- All Government IT Webcasts