NYC corporate partnership seeks fresh financial tech
Winners of the annual contest will be able to get their technologies in front of finance executives
IDG News Service - A partnership of New York City businesses has put out a call for innovative financial technologies.
Sponsored by The Partnership for New York City Fund and Accenture, the FinTech Innovation Lab seeks novel technologies that would benefit the financial services sector. The six winners of the annual contest will have the opportunity to present their technologies to top executives at some of the city's most powerful financial firms.
The goal is to spark "a new financial technology sector in New York," as well as to "find interesting technologies for the financial institutions," said Maria Gotsch, president and CEO of The Partnership for New York City Fund, an organization funded by New York businesses to bring more jobs to the city.
Gotsch said that New York financial firms often have to seek expertise in Silicon Valley or other locales outside New York to find competitive new technologies. So the partnership wants to bring more financial technology firms to the city. "The program is explicitly set up with a New York-centric focus for that reason. It would put the banks closer to innovation. We're a center of financial services so we should be the center of financial technology," Gotsch said.
The 2013 contest, the third annual iteration, will focus on finding new capabilities in data and analytics, mobile and wireless, payments, risk management, security, social media, and collaboration. Companies with innovative financial technologies in other realms are encouraged to apply as well.
Winning companies will participate in a 12-week program that provides access to venture capitalists and top-level financial industry executives. "It really is a mentoring relationship. The banks bring in the right people for the product and give [the winners] feedback," Gotsch said.
"It is difficult to find the right person to talk to, and get their attention. This program tries to solve that problem," Gotsch said.
Businesses applying do not need to be headquartered in New York City. Should a business win, however, its senior staff should be prepared to spend 12 weeks in New York. The partnership is hoping that the winners will eventually set up offices in the Big Apple, where they can continue to enjoy close proximity to their customer base.
There is no size restriction on the companies that can apply. Companies can either be in the early stage with a prototype or already have a product on the market. Even established software companies can enter the contest if they wish to expand the use of an established technology into the financial sector.
Financial firms participating in the lab include American Express, Bank of America, Barclays, Capital One, Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase and Morgan Stanley. Participating venture capital firms include Bain Capital Ventures, Contour Venture Partners, Rho Ventures and Warburg Pincus.
Applications must be submitted by Dec. 19. Winners will be announced in April.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Something-something “LASER” something-something-something.
The MtGox Bitcoin exchange is bankrupt. Not a huge surprise, but insiders are also alleging chronic incompetence within the company, flowing from the CEO, Mark Karpeles. Supposed hackers have also leaked some PHP code that appears to substantiate those allegations. But could it all be an elaborate ruse to steal customers'
MtGox Co., Ltd. is now aiming for "civil rehabilitation" in a Tokyo District Court (similar to Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the U.S.).
In IT Blogwatch, bloggers release the frickin’ ill-tempered, mutated sea bass.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Accelerating Speed to Market in the Highly Competitive Automotive Industry
- This White Paper discusses how an Enterprise Project Portfolio Management solution optimizes project analysis, management, reporting and risk mitigation processes to accelerate new...
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business
- View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Financial Security: What smaller Institutions can learn from DDoS attacks on big banks
- Since last fall, several waves of distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks have targeted major players in the U.S. banking industry. JPMorgan Chase,...
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
- Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
All Financial IT White Papers
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of...
- All Financial IT Webcasts