IDG News Service - Preparing quick service pizza chain Domino's (ASX:DMP) for a digital future is top priority for Group CIO, Wayne McMahon.
Based in Brisbane, McMahon has been in charge of IT at the company for the past 19 months and spearheaded a number of changes including a migration to the cloud and development of smartphone apps to enable customers to order food and drink in a more convenient fashion.
He spoke to CIO Australia about the company's digital plans, staffing increases and why the iPad is his favourite gadget.
What does your role at Domino's Australia involve?
I am the Group CIO which means I am responsible for the IT functions across all five of our markets which includes Australia, New Zealand, The Netherlands, Belgium and France. I would sum up my role as delivering technology solutions to support the growth of the business.
What are some of the challenges you face in the role of Group CIO?
Managing the dynamic nature of this business. Domino's is going through massive growth which is driven off the back of digital solutions such as the iPhone and Android apps. I need to deliver those solutions in a timely manner to meet business expectations.
Domino's apps create 100 new jobs
Domino's serves up Android app
Domino's enters the cloud with online content delivery partnership
What are some of the projects you have been working on?
Since I've been here we have delivered a number of digital solutions including a mobile optimised website, an Android app and a number of different versions of our iPhone app. We've also delivered an iPad app and ordering via Facebook.
On top of that, we've delivered the Pitney Bowes Software Streetsweeper project that has simplified territory identification and allocation for Domino's franchisees in Australia.
Last but not least, one of my first initiatives was to migrate all of our core business into the cloud. We completed that cloud migration in 10 weeks just before Christmas 2011. It's been a very busy 18 months for me.
The reason I undertook the cloud migration was to deliver capability to this business. It's all about ability including scalability, flexibility and capacity. We undertook the cloud migration because we realised that Domino's is fast becoming a digital business. Over 50 per cent of orders come via digital solutions and this is expected to grow to 80 per cent over the next three years.
We also wanted the benefits of disaster recovery and security that comes with being in a private cloud.
Since the migration to the cloud, IT staff numbers have grown and we now have 55 personnel across Australia and Europe. Prior to the cloud project, we had 45 IT staff.
What are the three biggest issues facing CIOs today?
The first would be keeping pace with a very dynamic business, followed by articulating and demonstrating value with the investments that we make and lastly, being truly strategic and making good decisions that you can live with.
What is your favourite gadget?
My iPad because it's always close at hand. When I'm at home at night I can check emails and keep on top of my work. Personally, it's been a big enabler for me.
Follow Hamish Barwick on Twitter: @HamishBarwick
Download the CIO Australia iPad app CIO Australia for iPad
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts