Chip maker STMicroelectronics to help demo wireless body motion tracking
The technology could help track the progress of stroke victims and control games
IDG News Service - Working with Xsens Technologies, STMicroelectronics next week will demonstrate the world's first wearable wireless 3D body motion-tracking system based on consumer-grade sensors.
Advanced motion capture using sensors is already used in a number of different professional applications, including film making. But the technology is now ready for the consumer market, according to Per Slycke, CTO and co-founder at Xsens.
Xsens and STMicroelectronics have put together a demo for the Electronica 2012 tradeshow, which takes place next week in Munich.
The demo will track body movements by attaching to a person 15 sensors of the same kind used in smartphones from STMicroelectronics, while Xsens supplies the firmware and software to make it work.
"The types of applications you can use this for are very broad ... some we have in mind are sports, fitness health care and using your body as a gaming interface," said Slycke.
While Nintendo and Microsoft have popularized using body movements to control games, Xsens' software with STMicroelectronics' sensors can be used anywhere.
Beyond gaming, tracking body movements can also change the way neurological disorders such as strokes are treated.
"Stroke affects the central nervous system, and that results in movement disorders, and they can be very subtle. But by evaluating the 3D motion data of a person you track progress or if someone becomes worse," said Slycke.
Some niche applications are expected to pick this up pretty quickly, because the basic technical building blocks are ready. For example, the low-energy feature in Bluetooth 4.0 will play an important role in helping set up a body area network, allowing sensors communicate with a smartphone, according to Slycke. Then it will take another year or two before it becomes more widely available, he said.
While the demo attaches the sensors using straps, future sensors could be integrated in, for example, watches, shoes and various types of smartphone accessories.
"I think this is a great opportunity for vendors who are looking to differentiate themselves in the handset market," said Slycke.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Apple continues work on iOS 8, but its latest developer release underlines the importance of new sensor technologies as it pulls together a private and secure mobile foundation to support the digital health industry.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- 2014 Healthcare Data Management Survey Summary
- This report provides insights into how much information Healthcare IT organizations are managing, the rate of data growth they are experiencing and which...
- Selecting Foundational Controls Makes HIPAA Compliance Easier
- In this Dell Software white paper, learn more about HIPAA and IT security compliance - straight from an auditor - and discover how...
- Security, Privacy and Trust in Email Management
- This white paper discusses a SaaS-based email management solution that delivers the security, continuity and archiving capabilities your organization demands.
- The Total Cost of Email
- In this white paper, we'll explore the true costs of fragmented email management and uncover how to reduce those costs with a cloud-based...
- Balancing Security, Compliance and Cost: the Prescription for Healthcare Email Management: Move to the Cloud
- Learn how cloud-based technologies for core productivity tools such as email and collaboration can help healthcare organizations be more efficient with IT dollars... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- On-Demand Webinar: Transform Your Datacenter with Cisco ACI and Citrix NetScaler Learn how Citrix NetScaler -- the leader in public clouds, integrates with Cisco ACI to enable the enterprise network transition to a new...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade.
- Peer 1's Mission Critical Cloud: Your Cloud, Your Way Peer 1 Hosting's Mission Critical Cloud offers the ultimate in flexible customization of infrastructure, resources and support.
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts