Chip maker STMicroelectronics to help demo wireless body motion tracking
The technology could help track the progress of stroke victims and control games
IDG News Service - Working with Xsens Technologies, STMicroelectronics next week will demonstrate the world's first wearable wireless 3D body motion-tracking system based on consumer-grade sensors.
Advanced motion capture using sensors is already used in a number of different professional applications, including film making. But the technology is now ready for the consumer market, according to Per Slycke, CTO and co-founder at Xsens.
Xsens and STMicroelectronics have put together a demo for the Electronica 2012 tradeshow, which takes place next week in Munich.
The demo will track body movements by attaching to a person 15 sensors of the same kind used in smartphones from STMicroelectronics, while Xsens supplies the firmware and software to make it work.
"The types of applications you can use this for are very broad ... some we have in mind are sports, fitness health care and using your body as a gaming interface," said Slycke.
While Nintendo and Microsoft have popularized using body movements to control games, Xsens' software with STMicroelectronics' sensors can be used anywhere.
Beyond gaming, tracking body movements can also change the way neurological disorders such as strokes are treated.
"Stroke affects the central nervous system, and that results in movement disorders, and they can be very subtle. But by evaluating the 3D motion data of a person you track progress or if someone becomes worse," said Slycke.
Some niche applications are expected to pick this up pretty quickly, because the basic technical building blocks are ready. For example, the low-energy feature in Bluetooth 4.0 will play an important role in helping set up a body area network, allowing sensors communicate with a smartphone, according to Slycke. Then it will take another year or two before it becomes more widely available, he said.
While the demo attaches the sensors using straps, future sensors could be integrated in, for example, watches, shoes and various types of smartphone accessories.
"I think this is a great opportunity for vendors who are looking to differentiate themselves in the handset market," said Slycke.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Pilot fish is trying to help a woman who runs a daycare center -- and since all she wants to do is publish a 30-page online handbook for parents, how hard will that be?
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Security, Privacy and Trust in Email Management
- This white paper discusses a SaaS-based email management solution that delivers the security, continuity and archiving capabilities your organization demands.
- The Total Cost of Email
- In this white paper, we'll explore the true costs of fragmented email management and uncover how to reduce those costs with a cloud-based...
- Balancing Security, Compliance and Cost: the Prescription for Healthcare Email Management: Move to the Cloud
- Learn how cloud-based technologies for core productivity tools such as email and collaboration can help healthcare organizations be more efficient with IT dollars...
- Email Security Checklist: Eight Steps for Healthcare Organizations
- Don't let fear of violating Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) codes prevent you from using email to communicate sensitive information.
- Seven questions you must ask before choosing your patient portal solution
- By asking the right questions and connecting the right stakeholders, you can ensure that you implement a true community solution that will improve... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts