Oracle buys PPM vendor Instantis
The move heats up Oracle rivalry with IBM and CA in the project portfolio management business
IDG News Service - Oracle on Thursday said it has agreed to acquire project portfolio management (PPM) software vendor Instantis, in a move that will build upon its past acquisition of Primavera. Terms of the deal, which is expected to be completed this year, were not disclosed.
Instantis has both on-premises and cloud-based software, which will be combined with Primavera as well as Oracle's next-generation Fusion Applications, according to a statement. All told, the software "will provide the ability to manage, track and report on enterprise strategies - from capital construction and maintenance, to manufacturing, IT, new product development, Lean Six Sigma, and other corporate initiatives," Oracle said.
Instantis' main product is called EnterpriseTrack, which incorporates dashboards and reports that can be shared "at any phase of the project life cycle from ideas to proposals to project execution to metrics and results," according to its website. The company's software also has a native social networking platform called EnterpriseStream, as well as an integration framework for tying EnterpriseTrack to other systems.
Oracle "plans to continue to invest in Instantis' technology, evolving the solutions organically and deepening the integration capabilities with Oracle technology," according to a FAQ document released Thursday.
As with all of its acquisitions, Oracle will also gain further footholds in enterprise accounts, giving its sales representatives opportunities to cross-sell and up-sell other products to Instantis users, which include Ingram Micro, DuPont, Credit Suisse and Xerox.
Oracle's competitors in the PPM market include CA Technologies, IBM and a number of smaller vendors.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Confront consumerization with convergence Virtualization expert Elias Khnaser spotlights the security, compliance, and governance issues that arise when enterprise users "consumerize" with shadow IT and public cloud...
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!