Oracle buys PPM vendor Instantis
The move heats up Oracle rivalry with IBM and CA in the project portfolio management business
IDG News Service - Oracle on Thursday said it has agreed to acquire project portfolio management (PPM) software vendor Instantis, in a move that will build upon its past acquisition of Primavera. Terms of the deal, which is expected to be completed this year, were not disclosed.
Instantis has both on-premises and cloud-based software, which will be combined with Primavera as well as Oracle's next-generation Fusion Applications, according to a statement. All told, the software "will provide the ability to manage, track and report on enterprise strategies - from capital construction and maintenance, to manufacturing, IT, new product development, Lean Six Sigma, and other corporate initiatives," Oracle said.
Instantis' main product is called EnterpriseTrack, which incorporates dashboards and reports that can be shared "at any phase of the project life cycle from ideas to proposals to project execution to metrics and results," according to its website. The company's software also has a native social networking platform called EnterpriseStream, as well as an integration framework for tying EnterpriseTrack to other systems.
Oracle "plans to continue to invest in Instantis' technology, evolving the solutions organically and deepening the integration capabilities with Oracle technology," according to a FAQ document released Thursday.
As with all of its acquisitions, Oracle will also gain further footholds in enterprise accounts, giving its sales representatives opportunities to cross-sell and up-sell other products to Instantis users, which include Ingram Micro, DuPont, Credit Suisse and Xerox.
Oracle's competitors in the PPM market include CA Technologies, IBM and a number of smaller vendors.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts