Citrix and NetApp simplify on-premises data sharing
Citrix's ShareFile with StorageZones can run on NetApp's storage hardware and software
IDG News Service - Citrix Systems and NetApp have jointly developed a software and hardware package optimized for Citrix's ShareFile with StorageZones.
ShareFile with StorageZones is Citrix's enterprise-friendly answer to cloud-based file storage and sharing services like DropBox, Apple's iCloud and Google's Drive, and allows CIOs to place data in the organization's own data center as opposed to in the cloud.
Enterprises can now meet compliance and data sovereignty requirements, while users can still access their documents and images from anywhere at any time. Storing data close to users also helps improve performance, the two companies said on Wednesday.
By joining forces, Citrix and NetApp hopes to help enterprises simplify and accelerate on-premise, large-scale data sharing and storage deployments, they said. The two have seen to it that StorageZones works with NetApp's FAS and V-Series storage systems running its clustered Data ONTAP software.
The integration lets enterprise take advantage of features such as de-duplication and compression to decrease the amount of storage needed to host employee content.
De-duplication does that by eliminating duplicated content, so if two users are storing the same image there only needs to be one copy.
NetApp's Snapshot technology can be used to backup and recover the data.
This is the second time in less than a month Citrix and NetApp have joined forces to make life a little easier for IT staff.
Last month the two companies announced they are working on integrating NetApp's storage software with Citrix's CloudPlatform and the Apache CloudStack project, offering features such as storage automation and virtual machine backup and recovery.
On Wednesday, Citrix also announced two new NetScaler MPX hardware appliances aimed at smaller enterprises, it said.
The MPX 5550 and MPX 5650 cost from $14,000 and are now shipping. They can be used for load balancing, SSL processing and traffic inspection to protects against threats such as cross-site scripting and SQL injections.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Rethinking Backup and Recovery As enterprises continue to transform their data centers, and virtualization plays an increasing role in their IT infrastructures, the way data is backed...
- Archiving benefits more than just email Many organizations assume archiving is mostly related to email and compliance; however, archiving is associated with a wide range of business improvements.
- Server and System Admins Challenged to Keep Up with Storage Explosion Read this whitepaper to learn how administrators are leveraging their existing skills to simplify the management of storage and servers.
- Administrators need an agile platform to usher the new era of enterprise storage Read this whitepaper and learn how administrators are keeping up by guiding their enterprises toward new, software-defined storage platforms that simplify and unify...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Vblock™ Specialized System for SAP HANA® Deploy SAP HANA® fast and with low risk. VCE brings together all of the necessary components for SAP HANA® into a single, standardized... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.