Citrix and NetApp simplify on-premises data sharing
Citrix's ShareFile with StorageZones can run on NetApp's storage hardware and software
IDG News Service - Citrix Systems and NetApp have jointly developed a software and hardware package optimized for Citrix's ShareFile with StorageZones.
ShareFile with StorageZones is Citrix's enterprise-friendly answer to cloud-based file storage and sharing services like DropBox, Apple's iCloud and Google's Drive, and allows CIOs to place data in the organization's own data center as opposed to in the cloud.
Enterprises can now meet compliance and data sovereignty requirements, while users can still access their documents and images from anywhere at any time. Storing data close to users also helps improve performance, the two companies said on Wednesday.
By joining forces, Citrix and NetApp hopes to help enterprises simplify and accelerate on-premise, large-scale data sharing and storage deployments, they said. The two have seen to it that StorageZones works with NetApp's FAS and V-Series storage systems running its clustered Data ONTAP software.
The integration lets enterprise take advantage of features such as de-duplication and compression to decrease the amount of storage needed to host employee content.
De-duplication does that by eliminating duplicated content, so if two users are storing the same image there only needs to be one copy.
NetApp's Snapshot technology can be used to backup and recover the data.
This is the second time in less than a month Citrix and NetApp have joined forces to make life a little easier for IT staff.
Last month the two companies announced they are working on integrating NetApp's storage software with Citrix's CloudPlatform and the Apache CloudStack project, offering features such as storage automation and virtual machine backup and recovery.
On Wednesday, Citrix also announced two new NetScaler MPX hardware appliances aimed at smaller enterprises, it said.
The MPX 5550 and MPX 5650 cost from $14,000 and are now shipping. They can be used for load balancing, SSL processing and traffic inspection to protects against threats such as cross-site scripting and SQL injections.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Analyst Report-Mixed All Flash Arrays Delivers Safer Higher Performance What is the impact of an all-flash array with enterprise features and reliability on the mainstream data center? In the mainstream environment, storage...
- Embracing Flash Storage Exec Brief Flash storage can deliver impressive performance, especially for random I/O, by eliminating rotational and seek latencies that are common in all hard disk...
- Embracing Tiered Storage Exec Brief All data is not created equal and thus all data need not be treated the same by the storage system. IT executives must...
- Boosting Storage Performance for I/O Intensive Enterprise Applications Implementing enterprise applications can be a complex undertaking for IT organizations. Successful deployments depend on high-performance storage systems that are easy to manage...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts