Lenovo profit growth sags in fiscal Q2
Nonetheless, Lenovo became world's top PC vendor during the quarter, according to research firm Gartner
IDG News Service - Lenovo said Thursday its net profit for the fiscal second quarter increased by only 13% year-over-year, marking a shift from the high profit growth the company has previously seen.
For the fiscal second quarter ending on Sept. 30, Lenovo's net profit reached $162 million. Revenue for the quarter was a record US$8.7 billion, a year-over-year increase of 11%.
In its fiscal first quarter, Lenovo reported 30% year-on-year growth in net profit. Last year, the company saw profit growth almost doubling year-over-year in some quarters.
Lenovo has consistently reported solid growth in its product shipments despite slowing growth in the PC industry, and competition from Apple's iPad which has cut into sales of laptops.
The Chinese company increased PC shipments in the fiscal second quarter, and was named the world's largest PC vendor by research firm Gartner. Research firm IDC, however, still ranks rival HP as the top PC vendor with a slight lead ahead of Lenovo.
During the quarter, Lenovo reported that its PC shipments grew year-over year by 10.3%. Lenovo has credited the growth to its "protect and attack" strategy, with the company maintaining its dominant position in China's PC market, while expanding into new emerging markets. In China alone, the company's revenue reached $3.9 billion, accounting for 44% of Lenovo's global sales.
The company also saw growth in its Mobile Internet Digital Home group, which sells smartphones. The business group saw revenue reach $718 million in the quarter, up 155% from the same quarter last year. In China, Lenovo's smartphone shipments reached second place, behind Samsung, according to research firm Canalys.
Lenovo announced during the quarter it would begin selling smartphones in Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam and India. Microsoft's Windows 8, which was formally launched only two weeks ago, could also help grow PC sales.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts