Sony online exec to step down
Tim Schaaf, who joined the company in 2005 from Apple, will leave the company at the end of December
IDG News Service - Sony said Thursday that the executive in charge of its online products, and linking them up to its broad hardware holdings, will leave the company at the end of the year.
The Tokyo-based electronics giant said Tim Schaaff, who it poached from Apple in 2005, will leave by "personal choice." Schaaff is president of Sony Network Entertainment, a core division that runs its streaming music and video service and its online gaming network.
Andrew House, the executive in charge of Sony's game division, will lead the networking division after the exit of Schaaff, who will continue to serve as an outside director, Sony said.
"This was proposed by him," said Sony spokesman George Boyd, adding Schaaff indicated he wanted to "take a break and spend more time with his family."
Expanding the company's online services and offering them across its video game consoles, phones, tablets and TVs is a major part of Sony's turnaround plan under new CEO Kazuo Hirai. The company has also launched apps that allow its online services to be accessed by third-party devices like iPhones and third-party Android phones.
Schaaff joined Sony under former CEO Howard Stringer, as part of the firm's efforts to add software expertise to its product design and day-to-day management. He previously managed development of Apple's QuickTime video technology.
The executive helped roll out Sony's current online offerings, and was in charge of Sony's PlayStation Network when it was breached last year by hackers in one of the largest corporate hacking incidents ever. The hack exposed the account details of over 77 million users, spurred a federal lawsuit, and caused a weeks-long service outage.
Asked to comment about the incident, Schaaff famously said he had learned a lot from it.
"I would not like to do it again. One time was enough. Great learning experience," he said at the GamesBeat 2011 conference in San Francisco.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts