MasterCard demonstrates new ways to pay online using mobile devices
The card company uses a secure element stored on a phone to protect online transactions
IDG News Service - MasterCard is testing new ways to make online transactions more secure with its PayPass application and a mobile phone, including using QR codes to secure the transactions.
The card company is cooperating with Dutch bank ING Group on a trial in the Netherlands that will test two ways of securing online transactions. They both use a secure element on the mobile device and MasterCard's PayPass application to offer the same level of security as when paying in a store with a chip-equipped card, according to joint a statement.
In the first scenario, the shopping is done using the phone and the user enters a PIN to authenticate the transaction. The transactions are secured by sending an EMV-compliant cryptogram from the device directly to the merchant's payment gateway for processing.
EMV (Europay, MasterCard and Visa) is a standard for credit and debit payment cards based on chip card technology.
In the second scenario, the shopping is done on a PC or tablet, but the user can then pay on a phone using a secure QR code that connects the PayPass application with the online shopping cart.
In both cases, coupons and vouchers can be used as the consumer shops, as well.
This year has seen MasterCard stepping up its mobile push.
In May, MasterCard announced PayPass Wallet Services, which is aimed at banks and merchants that want to offer mobile payments. It includes the PayPass wallet and APIs for partners to launch wallets under their own brand and integration with the PayPass Acceptance Network.
The company is also working with NTT Docomo to allow the Japanese operator's subscribers to make mobile payments when travelling abroad next year.
The Dutch trial has already begun and will run through the first quarter of 2013. A total of 160 users are taking part and they are using Samsung's Galaxy S III, according to ING.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!