MasterCard demonstrates new ways to pay online using mobile devices
The card company uses a secure element stored on a phone to protect online transactions
IDG News Service - MasterCard is testing new ways to make online transactions more secure with its PayPass application and a mobile phone, including using QR codes to secure the transactions.
The card company is cooperating with Dutch bank ING Group on a trial in the Netherlands that will test two ways of securing online transactions. They both use a secure element on the mobile device and MasterCard's PayPass application to offer the same level of security as when paying in a store with a chip-equipped card, according to joint a statement.
In the first scenario, the shopping is done using the phone and the user enters a PIN to authenticate the transaction. The transactions are secured by sending an EMV-compliant cryptogram from the device directly to the merchant's payment gateway for processing.
EMV (Europay, MasterCard and Visa) is a standard for credit and debit payment cards based on chip card technology.
In the second scenario, the shopping is done on a PC or tablet, but the user can then pay on a phone using a secure QR code that connects the PayPass application with the online shopping cart.
In both cases, coupons and vouchers can be used as the consumer shops, as well.
This year has seen MasterCard stepping up its mobile push.
In May, MasterCard announced PayPass Wallet Services, which is aimed at banks and merchants that want to offer mobile payments. It includes the PayPass wallet and APIs for partners to launch wallets under their own brand and integration with the PayPass Acceptance Network.
The company is also working with NTT Docomo to allow the Japanese operator's subscribers to make mobile payments when travelling abroad next year.
The Dutch trial has already begun and will run through the first quarter of 2013. A total of 160 users are taking part and they are using Samsung's Galaxy S III, according to ING.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!