Google updates Chrome browser with battery-saving feature
This new version of the Google browser also adds the ability to send 'do not track' requests to websites
IDG News Service - Google released a Chrome browser update with a video decoding enhancement that the company claims will help users save battery life.
The feature, available for Chrome on Windows, cuts power consumption by executing video decoding on graphics processing units instead of on computers' CPUs, Google said in a blog post. This is because dedicated graphics chips require much less power than computers' CPUs, resulting in a 25% increase in battery life in Google tests.
"Now Chrome users on Windows will experience longer battery life so they don't get cut off while watching their favorite YouTube video on repeat," wrote Ami Fischman, a Google software engineer.
This Chrome update -- version 23 -- also gives users an option to send a "do not track" request to websites and online services, although Google warned that this feature's effectiveness depends on how the sites and services field these requests.
"Google is working with others on a common way to respond to these requests in the future," Fischman wrote.
Chrome 23 also consolidates in an icon next to the URL a website's permission settings for things like geolocation identification, pop up messages and camera-microphone access.
"Now, simply click on the page/lock icon next to a website's address in the omnibox to see a list of permissions and tweak them as you wish," Fischman wrote.
Security fixes include one that is not in the Chrome browser per se, but rather in the way MacOS defends against wild writes in compromised graphics drivers. Google paid $1,000 to the person who reported this bug, rated High, the second-highest rating behind Critical.
Google fixed 13 other security vulnerabilities, including five rated High and seven rated Medium, including one for which it paid a reward of $3,500.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts