Google updates Chrome browser with battery-saving feature
This new version of the Google browser also adds the ability to send 'do not track' requests to websites
IDG News Service - Google released a Chrome browser update with a video decoding enhancement that the company claims will help users save battery life.
The feature, available for Chrome on Windows, cuts power consumption by executing video decoding on graphics processing units instead of on computers' CPUs, Google said in a blog post. This is because dedicated graphics chips require much less power than computers' CPUs, resulting in a 25% increase in battery life in Google tests.
"Now Chrome users on Windows will experience longer battery life so they don't get cut off while watching their favorite YouTube video on repeat," wrote Ami Fischman, a Google software engineer.
This Chrome update -- version 23 -- also gives users an option to send a "do not track" request to websites and online services, although Google warned that this feature's effectiveness depends on how the sites and services field these requests.
"Google is working with others on a common way to respond to these requests in the future," Fischman wrote.
Chrome 23 also consolidates in an icon next to the URL a website's permission settings for things like geolocation identification, pop up messages and camera-microphone access.
"Now, simply click on the page/lock icon next to a website's address in the omnibox to see a list of permissions and tweak them as you wish," Fischman wrote.
Security fixes include one that is not in the Chrome browser per se, but rather in the way MacOS defends against wild writes in compromised graphics drivers. Google paid $1,000 to the person who reported this bug, rated High, the second-highest rating behind Critical.
Google fixed 13 other security vulnerabilities, including five rated High and seven rated Medium, including one for which it paid a reward of $3,500.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- OpenStack and Red Hat: IDC White paper Most OpenStack deployments are by public cloud providers that are early adopters of technology and use OpenStack in a do-it-yourself deployment and support...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts