E-voting machine swaps Obama vote for Romney; taken offline
Pennsylvania officials acknowledge the error; say calibration error fixed and DRE machine is back on duty
Computerworld - An electronic voting machine was temporarily taken out of service in Perry County, Pa., after a voter filmed it changing his vote for President Obama into one for Gov. Mitt Romney.
The voter, using the handle "centralpavoter," posted a video on YouTube earlier today purporting to show his attempts to cast a vote for Obama on what appears to be a touchscreen Direct Recording Electronic (DRE) voting machine. Despite repeatedly clicking on Obama's name, the machine keeps highlighting Romney's name on the machine, the video showed.
Ron Ruman, a spokesman for Pennsylvania Secretary of State Carol Aichele, confirmed the incident to Computerworld and said that the machine was immediately removed from service, recalibrated and quickly put back into service.
Ruman said it appeared that calibration issues in the machine caused it to highlight the wrong selection. The system worked as designed after it was recalibrated, he said.
No other voters complained about the machine, Ruman said.
Ruman said that the affected individual eventually voted on another machine without incident.
In a comment posted on Reddit, centralpavoter, who identified himself as a software developer, explained the incident in detail.
He said he tried troubleshooting the problem when he initially selected Obama's name on the machine and Romney's name was highlighted.
"I assumed it was being picky so I deselected Romney and tried Obama again, this time more carefully, and still got Romney," he wrote. "I first thought the calibration was off and tried selecting [Green Party candidate] Jill Stein to actually highlight Obama. Nope. Jill Stein was selected just fine," he said.
The voter said that an on-the-spot investigation found that "from the top of Romney's button down to the bottom of the black checkbox beside Obama's name was all active for Romney." All other buttons worked fine, he wrote.
Centralpavoter said he decided to record his attempts using a smartphone and then posted the video publicly to highlight the problem after a voting official on site appeared not to be too concerned about the issue.
Perry is a relatively small, mostly rural county northwest of Harrisburg.
Records maintained by election watchdog group Verified Voting show that Perry County uses DRE systems made by iVotronic. The systems are identified as being DRE systems that do not support a Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT).
Verified Voting and several other groups have long expressed considerable concern over the use of paperless DRE systems because votes cast on such machines are virtually impossible to audit. The lack of a paper trail rules out the use of manual audits, the groups have maintained.
Pennsylvania is one among 17 states that are using at least some paperless DRE systems to varying degrees in today's elections. Six of the states -- New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, South Carolina, Georgia, and Louisiana -- have no paper trail.
Jaikumar Vijayan covers data security and privacy issues, financial services security and e-voting for Computerworld. Follow Jaikumar on Twitter at @jaivijayan, or subscribe to Jaikumar's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NYC wants its old mechanical-lever voting machines back
- Twitter a big winner in 2012 presidential election
- E-voting machine swaps Obama vote for Romney; taken offline
- Ruling expected shortly in Ohio e-voting lawsuit
- Update: Lawsuit filed in Ohio over software updates to vote tabulation machines
- States rebut RNC complaints about e-voting systems
- Despite e-voting improvements, audits still needed for ballot integrity
- Obama, Romney cite Apple, tech issues in debate
- Twitter becomes new debate spin room
- IT offshoring: Romney vs. Obama
Read more about Government IT in Computerworld's Government IT Topic Center.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery
- Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery
- Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets
- Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014
- Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to... All Government IT White Papers
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- All Government IT Webcasts