HP simplifies automated software testing suite
HP's updated Unified Functional Testing (UFT) provides a way to test all layers of an application from a single screen
IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard is incorporating three different components, previously available separately, into its HP Unified Functional Testing (UFT) automated testing application so developers can test all aspects of a multi-tiered application from a single interface.
The company will also offer a cloud service that will allow developers to test mobile applications.
"In past three years, we've been seeing huge shifts in how our customer base deliver applications," said Roi Carmel, HP senior director of product management for application lifecycle management. "Applications used to be delivered every year, or every year and a half. Now they are delivered on an iterative basis, sometimes every month."
UFT 11.5, due to be released early next month, has been updated to better accommodate this more rapid pace of development, Carmel said. "We want to provide results earlier in the lifecycle, and not [have the customer] wait a year to know if the application is ready or not," he said.
UFT provides automated functional and regression testing services for development teams that build enterprise applications. The software generates documentation of the testing run-throughs and keeps a library of how individual applications work.
UFT 11.5 simplifies the testing process by combining a number of different tests into one screen, Carmel said.
In prior versions of UFT, developers could test an application's interface and then invoke triggers to set off other HP tools -- namely HP Functional Testing (QTP) and HP Service Test -- to test the program's operations at the database and service layers. Now, developers can test, from a single console, all three layers: the interface, the service layer and the database layer.
This unified testing brings a number of benefits, Carmel explained. It cuts down on possible errors because multiple scripts no longer have to be coordinated for effective testing. It also allows developers to test the whole software stack, not just a single layer, giving them deeper insight into possible issues and potential improvements that can be made.
The consolidation of features also better supports continuous integration, a practice of frequently testing the software being developed, through the use of tools such as Jenkins, to which UFT can be connected.
UFT 11.5 also includes a new patented recognition technology that can scan applications and document how they operate. While HP maintains a library of how many application frameworks and connective technologies operate, the new insight object recognition feature can document obscure programs not already covered by HP.
The newA feature is a set of algorithms that "automatically recognizes user interfaces just like a human does," Carmel said. "It can look at a user interface and really understand what it does -- what a text box is, what a button does."
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Considerations for Embracing Wireless Monitoring Employee behavior is once again driving major changes for IT departments - this time it's BYOD. This report details three critical steps to...
- Fixing Intermittent Performance Problems Intermittent performance problems are among the most frustrating and time-consuming issues IT administrators face. Read this white paper and learn how technology advances...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!