HP simplifies automated software testing suite
HP's updated Unified Functional Testing (UFT) provides a way to test all layers of an application from a single screen
IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard is incorporating three different components, previously available separately, into its HP Unified Functional Testing (UFT) automated testing application so developers can test all aspects of a multi-tiered application from a single interface.
The company will also offer a cloud service that will allow developers to test mobile applications.
"In past three years, we've been seeing huge shifts in how our customer base deliver applications," said Roi Carmel, HP senior director of product management for application lifecycle management. "Applications used to be delivered every year, or every year and a half. Now they are delivered on an iterative basis, sometimes every month."
UFT 11.5, due to be released early next month, has been updated to better accommodate this more rapid pace of development, Carmel said. "We want to provide results earlier in the lifecycle, and not [have the customer] wait a year to know if the application is ready or not," he said.
UFT provides automated functional and regression testing services for development teams that build enterprise applications. The software generates documentation of the testing run-throughs and keeps a library of how individual applications work.
UFT 11.5 simplifies the testing process by combining a number of different tests into one screen, Carmel said.
In prior versions of UFT, developers could test an application's interface and then invoke triggers to set off other HP tools -- namely HP Functional Testing (QTP) and HP Service Test -- to test the program's operations at the database and service layers. Now, developers can test, from a single console, all three layers: the interface, the service layer and the database layer.
This unified testing brings a number of benefits, Carmel explained. It cuts down on possible errors because multiple scripts no longer have to be coordinated for effective testing. It also allows developers to test the whole software stack, not just a single layer, giving them deeper insight into possible issues and potential improvements that can be made.
The consolidation of features also better supports continuous integration, a practice of frequently testing the software being developed, through the use of tools such as Jenkins, to which UFT can be connected.
UFT 11.5 also includes a new patented recognition technology that can scan applications and document how they operate. While HP maintains a library of how many application frameworks and connective technologies operate, the new insight object recognition feature can document obscure programs not already covered by HP.
The newA feature is a set of algorithms that "automatically recognizes user interfaces just like a human does," Carmel said. "It can look at a user interface and really understand what it does -- what a text box is, what a button does."
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- System and Data Protection, Recovery and Availability This white paper describes how ARCserve works and the benefits it can provide IT environments of all sizes.
- Simplifying Data Protection, Reducing Risk of Data Loss and System Downtime This white paper outlines what IT organizations should look for in a data protection solution, including simplicity and ease of deployment, comprehensive protection,...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts