Smartphones and tablets growth exploding, especially in business, Gartner says
1.2B smart devices will be purchased in 2013, research firm says
Computerworld - IT managers already know that smartphones and tablets are being purchased in vast numbers by workers, and Gartner added credence to that trend today, reporting that 1.2 billion of the devices will be purchased in 2013.
"The consumerization trend has hit IT as an unstoppable force," Gartner said in a statement. In all, smartphones and tablets combined make up 70% of all devices sold in 2012. The total is expected to reach 821 million by the end of the year.
Smartphones and tablets won't entirely replace PCs for most businesses, "but the ubiquity of smartphones and the increasing popularity of tablets are changing the way businesses look at their device strategies," said Carolina Milanesi, one of Gartner's smart device analysts.
Android and Apple's iOS devices will be used in businesses side-by-side, and often instead of BlackBerry devices. Milanesi noted that businesses have moved in the last 12 months from resisting Apple products to accepting them for use in their organizations.
Tablet purchases by businesses will reach 13 million in 2012 and triple to 53 million in 2016, Gartner said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Consumerization of IT in Computerworld's Consumerization of IT Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!