Smartphones and tablets growth exploding, especially in business, Gartner says
1.2B smart devices will be purchased in 2013, research firm says
Computerworld - IT managers already know that smartphones and tablets are being purchased in vast numbers by workers, and Gartner added credence to that trend today, reporting that 1.2 billion of the devices will be purchased in 2013.
"The consumerization trend has hit IT as an unstoppable force," Gartner said in a statement. In all, smartphones and tablets combined make up 70% of all devices sold in 2012. The total is expected to reach 821 million by the end of the year.
Smartphones and tablets won't entirely replace PCs for most businesses, "but the ubiquity of smartphones and the increasing popularity of tablets are changing the way businesses look at their device strategies," said Carolina Milanesi, one of Gartner's smart device analysts.
Android and Apple's iOS devices will be used in businesses side-by-side, and often instead of BlackBerry devices. Milanesi noted that businesses have moved in the last 12 months from resisting Apple products to accepting them for use in their organizations.
Tablet purchases by businesses will reach 13 million in 2012 and triple to 53 million in 2016, Gartner said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Consumerization of IT in Computerworld's Consumerization of IT Topic Center.
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Mission Critical Cloud Powers Freesat Website, Mobile App When subscription-free satellite TV service Freesat needed a scalable, cost-effective infrastructure it found the disaster recovery and security features it needed with Peer...
- Bring Your Own Device: From Security to Success Download this e-Book to learn best practices for executing a BYOD policy.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Don't Believe the Hype: Not All Containers are Created Equal Hear executives discuss the 3 C's of Secure Mobility-content, credentials, and configurations-and learn the inherent security risks to your organization of using MDM... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts