Smartphones and tablets growth exploding, especially in business, Gartner says
1.2B smart devices will be purchased in 2013, research firm says
Computerworld - IT managers already know that smartphones and tablets are being purchased in vast numbers by workers, and Gartner added credence to that trend today, reporting that 1.2 billion of the devices will be purchased in 2013.
"The consumerization trend has hit IT as an unstoppable force," Gartner said in a statement. In all, smartphones and tablets combined make up 70% of all devices sold in 2012. The total is expected to reach 821 million by the end of the year.
Smartphones and tablets won't entirely replace PCs for most businesses, "but the ubiquity of smartphones and the increasing popularity of tablets are changing the way businesses look at their device strategies," said Carolina Milanesi, one of Gartner's smart device analysts.
Android and Apple's iOS devices will be used in businesses side-by-side, and often instead of BlackBerry devices. Milanesi noted that businesses have moved in the last 12 months from resisting Apple products to accepting them for use in their organizations.
Tablet purchases by businesses will reach 13 million in 2012 and triple to 53 million in 2016, Gartner said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Consumerization of IT in Computerworld's Consumerization of IT Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- 10 Steps to Reducing Mainframe MLC Costs Monthly license charges (MLC) are rising by 7% or more each year, and account for 30% of total mainframe costs. Yet managing MLC...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock Three-Year TCO Analysis. Read more>>
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Consumerization of IT White Papers | Webcasts