Xbox Surface tablet with 7-in. display in works, reports say
The tablet would use an ARM processor
Computerworld - Microsoft is building a 7-in. mini Surface tablet focused on gaming, possibly called the Xbox Surface, according to various reports.
The device would likely run a custom ARM processor with fast RAM for gaming or possibly an Intel System on a Chip, according to The Verge on Tuesday. The Verge quoted multiple sources familiar with Microsoft's plans.
Microsoft officially announced its Surface RT running on an ARM chip on Oct. 25, with a starting price of $499 for a 32 GB version. It has a 10.6-in display with 1366 x 768 pixel resolution.
The Xbox Surface would not run a full version of Windows, but would support messaging and some other tablet functions, according to reports.
Microsoft declined to comment on the reports.
More tablet info
The table below shows the most recently announced tablets as reported by Computerworld. Click a tablet's name in the leftmost column to read a news story or review with more information about the device, or view a larger table with more details about each product.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Accelerating Network Convergence in Virtualized and Cloud Data Centers Adopting a converged networking strategy enables organizations to traffic server and storage I/O workloads on consolidated data throughput channels. Intelligent software helps optimize...
- Omnichannel: From Buzzword to Strategy Customers demand a seamless experience across channels, especially mobile. Read this whitepaper for a research-based framework for using omnichannel for higher customer engagement.
- How 10GbE Network is the Backbone of the Virtual Data Center The shift to a virtual data center has put tremendous strain on legacy networks; driving the need for more speed, lower latency, more...
- 10GbE in the Data Center Improvements in 10GbE technology, lower pricing, and improved performance make 10GbE for the mid-market a viable and cost-effective strategy. This white paper discusses...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts