Xbox Surface tablet with 7-in. display in works, reports say
The tablet would use an ARM processor
Computerworld - Microsoft is building a 7-in. mini Surface tablet focused on gaming, possibly called the Xbox Surface, according to various reports.
The device would likely run a custom ARM processor with fast RAM for gaming or possibly an Intel System on a Chip, according to The Verge on Tuesday. The Verge quoted multiple sources familiar with Microsoft's plans.
Microsoft officially announced its Surface RT running on an ARM chip on Oct. 25, with a starting price of $499 for a 32 GB version. It has a 10.6-in display with 1366 x 768 pixel resolution.
The Xbox Surface would not run a full version of Windows, but would support messaging and some other tablet functions, according to reports.
Microsoft declined to comment on the reports.
More tablet info
The table below shows the most recently announced tablets as reported by Computerworld. Click a tablet's name in the leftmost column to read a news story or review with more information about the device, or view a larger table with more details about each product.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts