Xbox Surface tablet with 7-in. display in works, reports say
The tablet would use an ARM processor
Computerworld - Microsoft is building a 7-in. mini Surface tablet focused on gaming, possibly called the Xbox Surface, according to various reports.
The device would likely run a custom ARM processor with fast RAM for gaming or possibly an Intel System on a Chip, according to The Verge on Tuesday. The Verge quoted multiple sources familiar with Microsoft's plans.
Microsoft officially announced its Surface RT running on an ARM chip on Oct. 25, with a starting price of $499 for a 32 GB version. It has a 10.6-in display with 1366 x 768 pixel resolution.
The Xbox Surface would not run a full version of Windows, but would support messaging and some other tablet functions, according to reports.
Microsoft declined to comment on the reports.
More tablet info
The table below shows the most recently announced tablets as reported by Computerworld. Click a tablet's name in the leftmost column to read a news story or review with more information about the device, or view a larger table with more details about each product.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- Securing Mobility, From Device to Network At one time, the process of managing and securing mobile devices and applications was fairly straightforward. Most organizations worried about one application (email)...
- Planning for Mobile Success Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- The Challenges and Opportunities of Mobile Application Development Nearly all business users now demand mobile devices--their own or company-owned--along with anywhere access to corporate applications and data. What turns mobile devices...
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!