AT&T gets exclusive on Samsung ATIV Smart PC
Sales start Friday for $800 with data plan
Computerworld - AT&T will sell two Samsung tablets starting Friday: the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 for $499.99 and the ATIV Smart PC for $799.99.
Both are eligible for a $100 discount when purchased with any Samsung Galaxy smartphone on a two-year contract.
The 11.6-in. ATIV, available exclusively at AT&T, runs Windows 8 and can be upgraded to Windows 8 Pro. As a result, it runs existing software and apps that run on Windows 7, Vista and XP, among others. A trial version of Office 2010 is also provided.
The ATIV has 64GB of storage, a microSD card slot and offers LTE network capabilities. The Intel Atom dual core processor is clocked at 1.5GHz.
The ATIV is distinguished by its detachable keyboard dock, so that a user can switch between a clamshell laptop and a tablet.
The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 has a 10.1-in display, runs Android 4.0 and supports LTE.
Wireless access will cost $10 a month for each tablet under the AT&T Mobile Share plans, which require purchasing a monthly allotment of gigabytes of data that can be shared with up to nine other devices.
Samsung announced the ATIV in August, along with other tablets and a smartphone using the ATIV name but didn't divulge pricing.
The $800 price tag for the ATIV Smart PC is considered a premium for a tablet by most analysts, especially when some standalone tablets are going for $200 to $329 with much less storage and no detachable keyboard. Microsoft has defended the higher price partly because of the interoperability of Windows 8 with previous versions of Windows.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- The Forrester Wave™: File Sync And Share Platforms, Q3 2013 Download this Analyst report to read why IBM SmartCloud for Social Business was cited as a leader in The Forrester Wave™: File Sync...
- Brunswick Case Study By implementing IBM SmartCloud services, Brunswick estimates that it avoided hundreds of thousands of dollars in capital expenditures, and is saving up to...
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!