AT&T gets exclusive on Samsung ATIV Smart PC
Sales start Friday for $800 with data plan
Computerworld - AT&T will sell two Samsung tablets starting Friday: the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 for $499.99 and the ATIV Smart PC for $799.99.
Both are eligible for a $100 discount when purchased with any Samsung Galaxy smartphone on a two-year contract.
The 11.6-in. ATIV, available exclusively at AT&T, runs Windows 8 and can be upgraded to Windows 8 Pro. As a result, it runs existing software and apps that run on Windows 7, Vista and XP, among others. A trial version of Office 2010 is also provided.
The ATIV has 64GB of storage, a microSD card slot and offers LTE network capabilities. The Intel Atom dual core processor is clocked at 1.5GHz.
The ATIV is distinguished by its detachable keyboard dock, so that a user can switch between a clamshell laptop and a tablet.
The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 has a 10.1-in display, runs Android 4.0 and supports LTE.
Wireless access will cost $10 a month for each tablet under the AT&T Mobile Share plans, which require purchasing a monthly allotment of gigabytes of data that can be shared with up to nine other devices.
Samsung announced the ATIV in August, along with other tablets and a smartphone using the ATIV name but didn't divulge pricing.
The $800 price tag for the ATIV Smart PC is considered a premium for a tablet by most analysts, especially when some standalone tablets are going for $200 to $329 with much less storage and no detachable keyboard. Microsoft has defended the higher price partly because of the interoperability of Windows 8 with previous versions of Windows.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts