AT&T gets exclusive on Samsung ATIV Smart PC
Sales start Friday for $800 with data plan
Computerworld - AT&T will sell two Samsung tablets starting Friday: the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 for $499.99 and the ATIV Smart PC for $799.99.
Both are eligible for a $100 discount when purchased with any Samsung Galaxy smartphone on a two-year contract.
The 11.6-in. ATIV, available exclusively at AT&T, runs Windows 8 and can be upgraded to Windows 8 Pro. As a result, it runs existing software and apps that run on Windows 7, Vista and XP, among others. A trial version of Office 2010 is also provided.
The ATIV has 64GB of storage, a microSD card slot and offers LTE network capabilities. The Intel Atom dual core processor is clocked at 1.5GHz.
The ATIV is distinguished by its detachable keyboard dock, so that a user can switch between a clamshell laptop and a tablet.
The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 has a 10.1-in display, runs Android 4.0 and supports LTE.
Wireless access will cost $10 a month for each tablet under the AT&T Mobile Share plans, which require purchasing a monthly allotment of gigabytes of data that can be shared with up to nine other devices.
Samsung announced the ATIV in August, along with other tablets and a smartphone using the ATIV name but didn't divulge pricing.
The $800 price tag for the ATIV Smart PC is considered a premium for a tablet by most analysts, especially when some standalone tablets are going for $200 to $329 with much less storage and no detachable keyboard. Microsoft has defended the higher price partly because of the interoperability of Windows 8 with previous versions of Windows.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts