AT&T gets exclusive on Samsung ATIV Smart PC
Sales start Friday for $800 with data plan
Computerworld - AT&T will sell two Samsung tablets starting Friday: the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 for $499.99 and the ATIV Smart PC for $799.99.
Both are eligible for a $100 discount when purchased with any Samsung Galaxy smartphone on a two-year contract.
The 11.6-in. ATIV, available exclusively at AT&T, runs Windows 8 and can be upgraded to Windows 8 Pro. As a result, it runs existing software and apps that run on Windows 7, Vista and XP, among others. A trial version of Office 2010 is also provided.
The ATIV has 64GB of storage, a microSD card slot and offers LTE network capabilities. The Intel Atom dual core processor is clocked at 1.5GHz.
The ATIV is distinguished by its detachable keyboard dock, so that a user can switch between a clamshell laptop and a tablet.
The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 has a 10.1-in display, runs Android 4.0 and supports LTE.
Wireless access will cost $10 a month for each tablet under the AT&T Mobile Share plans, which require purchasing a monthly allotment of gigabytes of data that can be shared with up to nine other devices.
Samsung announced the ATIV in August, along with other tablets and a smartphone using the ATIV name but didn't divulge pricing.
The $800 price tag for the ATIV Smart PC is considered a premium for a tablet by most analysts, especially when some standalone tablets are going for $200 to $329 with much less storage and no detachable keyboard. Microsoft has defended the higher price partly because of the interoperability of Windows 8 with previous versions of Windows.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- Managing Social Content to Maximize Value and Minimize Risk In this AIIM white paper, you will learn about the roles of content publishing systems and content management systems in social business strategies...
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- AIIM SharePoint Industry Watch AIIM surveyed its 65,000 community members to look at how the enterprise is reacting to social aspects, why organizations are exploring social, who...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts