Brocade buys Cisco nemesis Vyatta
Brocade looks to bolster software networking with open source routing company
Network World - Brocade has announced its acquisition of Vyatta, a privately held maker of open source-based network software, for an undisclosed amount of cash.
Vyatta develops an open source network operating system that is relevant for multiple applications in network virtualization, software-defined networking (SDN) and private/public cloud computing platforms, Brocade says.
Brocade CEO Mike Klayko said, in a statement, that Vyatta will enable Brocade to pursue new market opportunities in data center virtualization, public cloud, enterprise virtual private cloud, and managed services, and bolster its overall software networking capability.
In addition to shipping open source-based networking software today, Vyatta is developing an "on-demand" network operating system designed for routing, security and VPN capabilities for physical, virtual and cloud networking environments. Brocade said it plans to use Vyatta technology to offer customers an end-to-end virtualized network infrastructure to speed application deployment and reduce development cycles.
It will also enable Brocade to extend its data center fabric and IP networking technologies into a variety of server hypervisor environments, the company said.
"We believe software networking to be a critical component in the next phase of network virtualization as enterprises are becoming increasingly virtualized and actively moving workloads to the cloud," said Ken Cheng, vice president of the Routing, Application Delivery and Software Networking Group at Brocade, in a statement.
Vyatta was founded in 2006 and its software is based on code developed by the eXtensible Open Route Platform (XORP), begun in 2002 as an open-source router software project. Vyatta's software runs on standard x86 hardware, and the company regularly claimed significant capital and operational cost savings over Cisco routers.
Brocade expects to close the acquisition by the end of the calendar year. Vyatta will be merged into Software Networking Business unit reporting to Cheng.
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts