Workday targets SAP, Oracle with enterprise apps
Workday version 18 focuses on expanded financials capabilities for multinational enterprises
IDG News Service - Workday on Monday unveiled a new set of enhancements to its cloud-based ERP software aimed at winning business from large multinational companies.
The announcement, made as Workday begins its Workday Rising user conference, continues a strategy the vendor has pursued for some time. As large companies weigh what to do with their aging on-premises ERP installations, many of which were implemented decades ago, Workday is hoping to beat out the likes of SAP and Oracle, which are both trying to offer companies more cloud-based software.
To that end, Workday version 18 features a beefed-up financial management component that includes improved global tax and payment capabilities; more detailed reporting functionality; and a "project scenario planning" feature that uses Workday's human-resources software along with the financials module, allowing managers to "allocate resources seamlessly across projects with details that include cost, worker availability, skills, and experience," according to a statement.
Workday 18 also features grants management and fund accounting for government bodies and educational institutions, Workday said.
Other new features in the update focus on human resources capabilities, such as a new employee profile system and the ability to punch in and out of work from mobile devices and web browsers.
Workday has also made additions at the platform level, with custom field management tools that make it easy for customers to configure the software to their liking, according to a statement.
The announcement comes in the wake of Workday's recent, highly successful IPO filing, which raised not only more than $600 million but also the company's public profile, which had already been on a steady climb.
Workday 18, however, provides substance to go along with the flash, according to analyst Ray Wang, CEO of Constellation Research.
"These back office products take time to get there, but the cloud model means they are iterating and innovating very quickly," Wang said. "If SAP and Oracle financials are a 10, Workday is a seven moving towards an eight. A 10 would be the ability to support every unusual use case. An eight [means] most global 2000 companies can use this."
Wang's company is seeing a "growing ERP refresh cycle," he said. "It starts with edge apps like talent, recruiting, expenses and projects, and eventually the core gives way as users and organizations want to tap into the innovations delivered in the cloud. The last to go is core finance, but more and more folks realize that this will go too."
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Considerations for Embracing Wireless Monitoring Employee behavior is once again driving major changes for IT departments - this time it's BYOD. This report details three critical steps to...
- Fixing Intermittent Performance Problems Intermittent performance problems are among the most frustrating and time-consuming issues IT administrators face. Read this white paper and learn how technology advances...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- On-Demand Webinar: Beyond the Enterprise App Store If you already have a few projects that are RED on your project timeline then join us so you can free up your...
One Storefront to Rule Them All
Take the load off managing mobile users with IT service request and delivery across all platforms!
Give your users the on-demand, enterprise app...
All Applications White Papers |