EU spectrum for 4G to double US amount
New rules mean that EU countries must open up the 2GHz band
IDG News Service - The European Commission on Monday passed a new rule that will force European Union member states to open up the 2GHz band for 4G technologies.
The decision will add another 120MHz to the radio spectrum available for 4G technologies, giving the E.U. twice the amount of spectrum for high-speed wireless broadband as the United States, namely around 1000MHz.
4G systems use new technologies, such as LTE (Long-Term Evolution), to provide faster upload and download data speeds than are currently available. Industry developments mean that these technologies are increasingly capable of offering 30Mbps to many users at the same time.
Consumer applications include faster mobile Web access, IP telephony, gaming services and high-definition mobile TV.
Although Monday's decision gives national authorities until July 2014 to open the relevant spectrum, Digital Agenda Commissioner Neelie Kroes said she wants to see member states "acting swiftly to change existing licenses." The 2GHz band is currently licensed to be used for 3G networks only.
The new rule also sets out technical conditions for the coexistence between different technologies to allow more flexible use of the paired terrestrial 2 GHz band.
The Commission is also considering a follow-up measure on the unpaired terrestrial 2GHz spectrum, which is currently allocated for use by 3G networks, but remains unused throughout the E.U. The Commission has already asked the European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations to study suitable applications and develop appropriate technical conditions and sharing arrangements.
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5 This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Migrate Oracle Apps from RISC/UNIX to Virtualized x86 Ready to move Oracle to a virtualized environment? This brief explains how true converged infrastructure can help you migrate from a RISC/UNIX environment...
- Step Out of the Bull's-Eye Learn about the evolution of targeted attacks, the latest in security intelligence, and strategic steps to keep your business safe.
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts