EU spectrum for 4G to double US amount
New rules mean that EU countries must open up the 2GHz band
IDG News Service - The European Commission on Monday passed a new rule that will force European Union member states to open up the 2GHz band for 4G technologies.
The decision will add another 120MHz to the radio spectrum available for 4G technologies, giving the E.U. twice the amount of spectrum for high-speed wireless broadband as the United States, namely around 1000MHz.
4G systems use new technologies, such as LTE (Long-Term Evolution), to provide faster upload and download data speeds than are currently available. Industry developments mean that these technologies are increasingly capable of offering 30Mbps to many users at the same time.
Consumer applications include faster mobile Web access, IP telephony, gaming services and high-definition mobile TV.
Although Monday's decision gives national authorities until July 2014 to open the relevant spectrum, Digital Agenda Commissioner Neelie Kroes said she wants to see member states "acting swiftly to change existing licenses." The 2GHz band is currently licensed to be used for 3G networks only.
The new rule also sets out technical conditions for the coexistence between different technologies to allow more flexible use of the paired terrestrial 2 GHz band.
The Commission is also considering a follow-up measure on the unpaired terrestrial 2GHz spectrum, which is currently allocated for use by 3G networks, but remains unused throughout the E.U. The Commission has already asked the European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations to study suitable applications and develop appropriate technical conditions and sharing arrangements.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts