EU spectrum for 4G to double US amount
New rules mean that EU countries must open up the 2GHz band
IDG News Service - The European Commission on Monday passed a new rule that will force European Union member states to open up the 2GHz band for 4G technologies.
The decision will add another 120MHz to the radio spectrum available for 4G technologies, giving the E.U. twice the amount of spectrum for high-speed wireless broadband as the United States, namely around 1000MHz.
4G systems use new technologies, such as LTE (Long-Term Evolution), to provide faster upload and download data speeds than are currently available. Industry developments mean that these technologies are increasingly capable of offering 30Mbps to many users at the same time.
Consumer applications include faster mobile Web access, IP telephony, gaming services and high-definition mobile TV.
Although Monday's decision gives national authorities until July 2014 to open the relevant spectrum, Digital Agenda Commissioner Neelie Kroes said she wants to see member states "acting swiftly to change existing licenses." The 2GHz band is currently licensed to be used for 3G networks only.
The new rule also sets out technical conditions for the coexistence between different technologies to allow more flexible use of the paired terrestrial 2 GHz band.
The Commission is also considering a follow-up measure on the unpaired terrestrial 2GHz spectrum, which is currently allocated for use by 3G networks, but remains unused throughout the E.U. The Commission has already asked the European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations to study suitable applications and develop appropriate technical conditions and sharing arrangements.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Legal White Papers | Webcasts