CIOs Must Exploit Smartphones, Tablets and Cloud Services
CIO - I'll never forget a conversation I had with the head of IT at PepsiCo's Pizza Hut division in 1984. At the time, Pizza Hut's technology operation was completely mainframe-based. The IT chief (who had a PhD in computer science) told me clearly, and quite loudly, that PCs were toys that would never be part of his organization. Over his dead body.
Unfortunately, it turned out that way, figuratively speaking. PCs eventually became the primary technology for Pizza Hut employees to build spreadsheets, write memos and create presentations. In the field, PCs became the dominant technology at the point of sale. The CIO failed.
Oh my, that was painful.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Confront consumerization with convergence Virtualization expert Elias Khnaser spotlights the security, compliance, and governance issues that arise when enterprise users "consumerize" with shadow IT and public cloud...
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!