Computer scientist uncovers Android SMS phishing vulnerability
Network World - A researcher at North Carolina State University has uncovered a vulnerability that could be exploited to send deceptive text messages from some Android devices, as part of a phishing scheme.
MORE ON ANDROID: Hottest Android news and rumors for the week ending Nov. 2
Particularly worrisome is the fact that the vulnerability doesn't need any elevated app permissions in order to function, said NCSU computer science professor Xuxian Jiang.
"The vulnerability allows a running [untrusted] app on the phone to fake an incoming SMS text message with arbitrary content, including the text message itself as well as the 'sending' phone number, which can be your friend in the contact list or simply your trusted banks," Jiang said in an email to Network World.
The flaw is apparently present in the Android Open-Source Project, and some versions of the software ranging from 1.6 (Donut) to 4.1 (Jelly Bean) are vulnerable. Jiang said that his team has been able to exploit it on the Samsung's Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S and Galaxy S III, HTC's One X and Inspire, and the Xiaomi MI-One.
Jiang praised Google for reacting quickly, confirming the presence of the vulnerability within two days of receiving the team's report. In the email, he expressed hope that a rapid patch would be forthcoming.
Jiang did not provide full technical details of the flaw, citing responsible disclosure issues, although he did describe the vulnerability as difficult to detect but easy to exploit, once found.
Jiang has been at the forefront of the discovery of several other Android security flaws, including, in June, a rootkit attack that might have allowed malicious software to be concealed on an affected device. He is the founder of the Android Malware Genome Project, an academic investigation of security threats affecting the platform.
Email Jon Gold at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter at @NWWJonGold.
Read more about software in Network World's Software section.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts