Developers praise Windows Phone 8 SDK, but virtualization and upgrades rankle
Tools vendors like greater capabilities SDK brings to smartphone apps, even if new PCs are needed to test code
Infoworld - With its newly released Windows Phone SDK 8.0, Microsoft is offering a better story for smartphone software developers, but the SDK itself may force some developers to undergo system upgrades.
Technologists and developers who have sampled the SDK -- mainly Microsoft partners with early access, such as officials at Sencha, Telerik, and Crittercism -- mostly like what they've seen. But software architect and blogger Tad Anderson has given the SDK itself a thumbs-down, calling it a "big-time flop" in a blog entry. Still, he likes Microsoft's overall prospects in the smartphone realm.
[ See InfoWorld's report, "Native mobile app dev vs. HTML5: Why not both?," for perspectives on how to develop for mobile devices. | Subscribe to InfoWorld's Developer World newsletter for the latest news from the software development space. | For the latest news in the mobile realm, subscribe to InfoWorld's Mobilize newsletter. ]
Windows Phone 8 expands the capabilities developers can tapWindows Phone 8 could at long last give Microsoft the smartphone it needs to make up for lost ground in the mobile space, which is now dominated by Google's Android smartphones and Apple's iPhone. "Our developer community, our ecosystem is strongly telling us that Windows Phone 8 is a platform they're going to pay attention to," says Aditya Bansod, vice president of product marketing at mobile software development platform provider Sencha.
Unlike its predecessor, Windows Phone 7.5 platform, the Windows Phone 8 SDK supports Web-based development in the Internet Explorer 10 browser, Bansod says. He claims that will translate to more more applications developed for Windows Phone 8, for which the first devices are shipping in Europe this week, with U.S. models expected before Christmas.
Windows Phone 8 also supports a much greater range of hardware components such as near-field communications radios, as well as dual- or quad-core processors and better screen and camera resolution, says Chris Sells, vice president of developer at tools vendor Telerik. Speech-recognition APIs are also new to Windows Phone 8. "Windows Phone 8 finally allows phone manufacturers to build cutting-edge hardware, which is something that wasn't a possibility in Windows Phone 7."
The SDK itself allows developers to build in backward compatibility with Windows Phone 7 applications, Sells says. Another early user, David Albrecht, director of platforms at performance monitoring software vendor Crittercism, cited XAML development capabilities as well as compatibility with Microsoft's Visual Studio IDE. "I like the XAML authoring experience a lot."
Developers may need a new PC to develop for Windows PhoneThe glowing praise for Windows Phone 8 from tools vendors is tempered by discontent from some early users. "[The SDK is] a flop because of the level of difficulty Microsoft has managed to add to getting it up and running for those of us running in a virtual environment. Adding the Hyper-V [virtualization] requirement has shut us down," says software architect Anderson.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- 10 Steps to Application and Network Performance Nirvana 10 simple steps that network operations teams can take to ensure that applications and underlying infrastructure can both be tuned for maximum performance.
- Application Performance Management for Dummies Application performance management helps deliver the application performance users and the business demand. Effectively monitoring and troubleshooting application performance issues requires a comprehensive...
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts