Twitter leaves placeholder message for copyright violations
Move is intended to increase transparency, Twitter says
IDG News Service - Under a new policy, Twitter will leave a placeholder message when it removes content resulting from a complaint by a copyright holder.
Previously, the content was removed entirely, making it more difficult for people to figure out why it disappeared.
"In an effort to be as transparent as possible regarding the removal or restriction of access to user-posted content, we clearly mark withheld Tweets and media to indicate to viewers when content has been withheld," according to its information page dealing with copyright and Digital Millennium Copyright Act issues.
Twitter will remove content such as profile photos and other photos as well as links to infringing material if it determines a complainant is the rightful copyright owner and the material has been used without permission.
Twitter attempts to contact the affected account holder and provide the person with a copy of the takedown notice and instructions for how to contest the removal.
Those DMCA notifications are also provided by Twitter to Chilling Effects minus any personal information, Twitter said. The website tracks copyright and DMCA issues.
When a tweet has been scrubbed, the entry will still appear with the title "Tweet withheld" followed by: "This Tweet from @Username has been withheld in response to a report from the copyright holder. Learn more." A similar message is displayed when other media content has been removed.
Twitter will suspend accounts that have had repeated copyright violations, and in some cases, terminate accounts.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- The Next Generation Employee Experience This white paper from IBM, showcases five organizations that are strategically integrating emerging social software and tools with their existing investments and seeing...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!