In Sandy's aftermath, telecoms work to restore wireless service
AT&T says 96.5% of cell stations in the region are working
IDG News Service - Cellular telecom carriers spent Saturday working to restore wireless service to customers across the U.S. northeast, which is just beginning to pick itself up from the battering it suffered earlier in the week from hurricane Sandy.
AT&T said it had restored service to 96.5% of its cell sites in the impacted region as of Saturday morning and Verizon said its engineers were working 12-hour shifts to return service in the New York and New Jersey areas.
For consumers without service or without electricity, the major wireless carriers have established charging stations and are offering free telephone calls from several locations.
Most carriers are offering the service at their stores. Additionally, AT&T established such stations in 13 locations and T-Mobile said it is offering charging and calling service in American Red Cross shelters in the state of New Jersey.
Verizon said it is redirecting employees and resources to the New York and New Jersey area as it restores service in less-severely affected parts of the region.
"Fuel availability is a daily concern," Verizon said in a statement. A "Verizon's command center continues to work with fuel suppliers and federal, state and local government officials to secure the fuel essential to keep generators and service vehicles running so Internet access and voice and data communications can continue to flow."
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5 This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Migrate Oracle Apps from RISC/UNIX to Virtualized x86 Ready to move Oracle to a virtualized environment? This brief explains how true converged infrastructure can help you migrate from a RISC/UNIX environment...
- Step Out of the Bull's-Eye Learn about the evolution of targeted attacks, the latest in security intelligence, and strategic steps to keep your business safe.
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!