In Sandy's aftermath, telecoms work to restore wireless service
AT&T says 96.5% of cell stations in the region are working
IDG News Service - Cellular telecom carriers spent Saturday working to restore wireless service to customers across the U.S. northeast, which is just beginning to pick itself up from the battering it suffered earlier in the week from hurricane Sandy.
AT&T said it had restored service to 96.5% of its cell sites in the impacted region as of Saturday morning and Verizon said its engineers were working 12-hour shifts to return service in the New York and New Jersey areas.
For consumers without service or without electricity, the major wireless carriers have established charging stations and are offering free telephone calls from several locations.
Most carriers are offering the service at their stores. Additionally, AT&T established such stations in 13 locations and T-Mobile said it is offering charging and calling service in American Red Cross shelters in the state of New Jersey.
Verizon said it is redirecting employees and resources to the New York and New Jersey area as it restores service in less-severely affected parts of the region.
"Fuel availability is a daily concern," Verizon said in a statement. A "Verizon's command center continues to work with fuel suppliers and federal, state and local government officials to secure the fuel essential to keep generators and service vehicles running so Internet access and voice and data communications can continue to flow."
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts