NetApp upgrades midrange storage arrays
Updated FAS3220 and FAS3250 offer significant performance boost, and doubles memory capacity and available drive slots
Computerworld - NetApp today unveiled upgraded FAS3220 and FAS3250 Fabric-Attached Storage arrays, improving their performance by up to 80% and more than doubling the storage capacity.
The upgraded midrange FAS storage systems run v8.1.2 of NetApp's OnTAP OS, and can be configured with 3TB hard drives to store up to 2.1 petabytes of data in a single rack.
The FAS3220's performance was boosted by 80% by increasing its cores from four to eight. The new system can store 24GB of data, more than double the 10GB capacity of its predecessor device.
NetApp doubled the available drive slots from the older model's 240 to 480, and tripled the PCIe expansion slots on the controller from four to 12, allowing for additional storage connectivity or NAND flash cache cards in the FAS3220.
The FAS 3250 got a 70% performance boost by doubling the number of processing cores from 8 to 16. The new array can offers 40GB of system memory, up from 16GB. NetApp also increased the available drive slots from 600 to 720, a 20% boost, in the upgraded FAS 3250.
"We're going after shared virtualized infrastructures in a big way," said Nathan Moffitt, director of storage platforms marketing at NetApp's. "These arrays will be used in Microsoft Windows Storage Server environments and for our FlexPod configuration."
FlexPod is NetApp's preconfigured, pre-certified storage network for user groups of 1,000 to 2,000 people.
FlexPod initially used the NetApp FAS3210 midrange array, Cicso's Unified Computing System (UCS) blade server and a Nexus switch and VMware's vSphere cloud platform and vCenter management console.
Even with the upgrades, the FAS3220 and FAS3250 will remain at a price similar to its predecessor, Moffitt said.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Simpana IntelliSnap Technology Datasheet With IntelliSnap you can maximize the value of your snapshot technology while dramatically reducing management overhead and complexity.
- Enhancing Application Protection and Recovery with a Modern Approach to Snapshot Management This CommVault Business Value and Technology White Paper explains how Simpana IntelliSnap® Recovery Manager can make your application recovery fast and reliable.
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts