GM plans to hire 3,000 HP IT workers
Computerworld - Hewlett-Packard has agreed to transfer 3,000 of its employees to General Motors, as the automaker moves IT operations in-house, the two companies announced.
The HP workers are part of a team running GM's IT operations under outsourcing contracts. GM CIO Randy Mott said the car company hopes to add them to its payroll over the next six months.
Mott, named CIO of GM earlier this year, decided early in his tenure to bring most of the automaker's IT work in-house, a major shift for a company that has long relied on outsourcers. Under Mott, GM is consolidating and automating IT operations, and plans to put the savings toward innovation of its product lines and business operations.
GM plans to reduce its worldwide roster of data centers from 23 to two within three years. It also wants to cut the number of applications it uses by 40%, according to Mott.
HP will continue to have a role in GM's IT operations. The agreement between the two companies calls for GM to use HP's IT Performance Suite and Enterprise Security Suite, as well as data analytics and business intelligence software in the vendor's Vertica and Autonomy product lines.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Workload Change: The 70 Percent of Your Business DevOps Forgot Adding WLA early in the development process ensures that the benefits of DevOps accrue for all applications, including your batch services. This paper...
- Oracle EBS and RAC Performance & Elasticity on Vblock™ Systems VCE Vblock™ Systems provide simple, low-risk solutions for migrating from a physical to virtual environment.
- Backup and Recovery of Oracle EBS on VCE Vblock™ Systems This solution architecture describes the key features and benefits of backup and recovery in the virtualized Oracle EBS on Vblock Systems with EMC...
- Zero Downtime Migration for Oracle EBS R12 with RAC on Vblock™ Systems The validation testing of a typical customer configuration outlined in this white paper, utilizes a virtualized Oracle EBS environment. The results illustrate that...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!