GM plans to hire 3,000 HP IT workers
Computerworld - Hewlett-Packard has agreed to transfer 3,000 of its employees to General Motors, as the automaker moves IT operations in-house, the two companies announced.
The HP workers are part of a team running GM's IT operations under outsourcing contracts. GM CIO Randy Mott said the car company hopes to add them to its payroll over the next six months.
Mott, named CIO of GM earlier this year, decided early in his tenure to bring most of the automaker's IT work in-house, a major shift for a company that has long relied on outsourcers. Under Mott, GM is consolidating and automating IT operations, and plans to put the savings toward innovation of its product lines and business operations.
GM plans to reduce its worldwide roster of data centers from 23 to two within three years. It also wants to cut the number of applications it uses by 40%, according to Mott.
HP will continue to have a role in GM's IT operations. The agreement between the two companies calls for GM to use HP's IT Performance Suite and Enterprise Security Suite, as well as data analytics and business intelligence software in the vendor's Vertica and Autonomy product lines.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- Budd Van Lines Moves Data Closer to Home Shipping and logistics company Budd Van Lines uses Infinio to improve performance on their VDI environment. The company employs a virtualized datacenter based...
- Storage Performance with Cost Control As IT groups expand their server virtualization initiatives, central storage performance can become the bottleneck and create poor end user experience.
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!