Gartner upbeat on big data jobs
Computerworld - The economic picture that Gartner's head of research, Peter Sondergaard, painted at his firm's recent Symposium/ITxpo conference in Orlando was upbeat in a surprising way.
While Gartner isn't significantly raising its global IT growth forecast -- which it revised downward earlier in the year -- its relatively flat forecast doesn't apply to at least one sector of IT: the big data labor market.
Big data, which refers to the vast amounts of information collected from every imaginable source, is becoming an engine of job creation as businesses strive to harness and analyze that data in order to glean revenue-generating insights from it, according to Gartner.
Between now and 2015, the firm expects big data to create some 4.4 million IT jobs globally; of those, 1.9 million will be in the U.S. Applying an economic multiplier to that estimate, Gartner expects each new big-data-related IT job to create work for three more people outside the tech industry, for a total of almost 6 million more U.S. jobs.
But Sondergaard's estimate included this caveat: There's a serious shortage of IT professionals with big-data skills, and only one-third of those new jobs will be filled.
"There's not enough talent in the industry," he said, adding that education "is failing us."
Griff Law, CTO of Northeast Georgia Health System, agreed that it's difficult to fill data analytics positions -- and IT jobs in general. He said his company has had 15 open IT positions for six months.
About six of those openings are either for business analysts with business intelligence and analytics skills or clinical analysts with both IT and data skills. The company's other IT job openings include positions for network engineers.
Overall, Gartner expects IT spending to rise to $3.7 trillion worldwide next year, a 3.8% increase over this year.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts