Samsung to get another crack at questioning Apple's Phil Schiller
Apple must make Schiller availabe for deposition by Monday
IDG News Service - Apple executive Phil Schiller will have to provide further testimony to lawyers for Samsung Electronics as part of the appeal proceedings related to their big patent infringement case, a California court ordered Thursday.
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California on Monday ordered that both companies make available a number of expert witnesses to lawyers for the other company for out of court depositions of "not more than three hours."
The short witness list included Schiller, Apple's head of worldwide marketing, and Apple sought a clarification with the court on whether Schiller was eligible for a request from Samsung lawyers. Apple argued that Schiller spoke at the trial as a fact witness, not an expert witness.
"Mr. Schiller is an Apple executive who testified at trial and whom Samsung has already deposed, and whose declaration is limited to facts and does not include any expert opinions," Apple lawyers wrote to the court on Tuesday.
On Thursday, Magistrate Judge Paul Grewal replied.
"Clarification of the court's October 29 order is what Apple wants, and so clarification Apple shall get. No later than November 5, 2012, Mr. Schiller shall appear for three hours of deposition. It is so ordered," he wrote.
At the trial in August, Schiller provided some of the most interesting testimony because it focused on how Apple came up with ideas for the iPhone and iPad. He also disclosed figures on how much Apple spent on U.S. advertising.
Samsung lawyers pushed him on design details, on screen keyboards and emails, copied to him, that discussed areas in which Apple wasn't first with a particular feature.
The two companies are racing to prepare themselves for an appeal hearing that is due to begin on December 6 at the courthouse in San Jose.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- The Top Five Ways to Get Started with Big Data Despite the increased focus on big data over the past few years, most organizations are still talking about what big data is rather...
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- The IBM Big Data Platform IBM is unique in having developed an enterprise class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts